Commuter Train

SecondThought

This came up about a month ago.  I'll just repeat what I said then:

They actually do run a monthly commuter service on the first Friday (plus TT) that only charges bus fares:

image.png.b6fe9629a65bcd9b384977fa00678cd5.png

I think most people they get on it either are those who would be travelling by bus anyway or pensioners doing a one way trip.  None of whom will be providing any extra revenue, except a percentage on the bacon butties.  There really isn't the market for it and any genuine extra demand would be better served with another bus.  Anything time gained on the total commute across the Island is probably countered by that lost to road (including bus) users at the Ballasalla level crossing.

I suspect this is about the lack of buses on the South routes, which despite the press reports haven't been restored to what they were before.  I notice that Moorhouse has a question in the (now deferred) Tynwald: For buses which left Castletown Square for Douglas between 07.00 and 08.20 on each day from 5th to 9th September inclusive, what the total number of available seats was; what the total number of unoccupied seats was when the buses left Castletown Square; and how many seats were available on each of the five busiest buses, with date and time of departure.

Madly over-specific of course, but it does indicate that people have been complaining.

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This came up about a month ago.  I'll just repeat what I said then:

They actually do run a monthly commuter service on the first Friday (plus TT) that only charges bus fares:

image.png.b6fe9629a65bcd9b384977fa00678cd5.png

I think most people they get on it either are those who would be travelling by bus anyway or pensioners doing a one way trip.  None of whom will be providing any extra revenue, except a percentage on the bacon butties.  There really isn't the market for it and any genuine extra demand would be better served with another bus.  Anything time gained on the total commute across the Island is probably countered by that lost to road (including bus) users at the Ballasalla level crossing.

I suspect this is about the lack of buses on the South routes, which despite the press reports haven't been restored to what they were before.  I notice that Moorhouse has a question in the (now deferred) Tynwald: For buses which left Castletown Square for Douglas between 07.00 and 08.20 on each day from 5th to 9th September inclusive, what the total number of available seats was; what the total number of unoccupied seats was when the buses left Castletown Square; and how many seats were available on each of the five busiest buses, with date and time of departure.

Madly over-specific of course, but it does indicate that people have been complaining.

Those fares will be a much bigger loss than the buses make for a duplicated service .

Edited by Numbnuts

49 minutes ago, SecondThought said:

There was an opinion piece in the Independent this week about a commuter train - what are your thoughts?

I think it’s insane. We are making ridiculous carbon neutrality claims and generally doing little about the transition to renewables but we think the right approach might be to take modern low emission petrol and diesel cars off the road and take people to work on an engine that burns filthy coal and sets fire to hedges 😂

Its yet again civil servants looking for things to do. Nobody is using the train so let’s find a fake reasons that never stack up to keep running the trains! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Is it true that Moorhouse was due to ask all the questions that day?

Do you really have to ask?  On the other hand there's only four, positively restrained by Moorhouse standards (and the others are more directly related to the cost of living etc). 

Apologies for not providing the link in my previous post.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think it’s insane. We are making ridiculous carbon neutrality claims and generally doing little about the transition to renewables but we think the right approach might be to take modern low emission petrol and diesel cars off the road and take people to work on an engine that burns filthy coal and sets fire to hedges 😂

Its yet again civil servants looking for things to do. Nobody is using the train so let’s find a fake reasons that never stack up to keep running the trains! 

Yeah ban the train save the planet 🤣 time people woke up 

7A8EC2C1-2600-4E4C-87BC-51CF1853ABD9.thumb.webp.65adeb9fac8abf2b99368b604bf12d9c.webp

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

To be fair I don't think even the DoI is suggesting that everyone should have their own individual steam train to get into Douglas.  Unlike cars.

(But as I said above it doesn't really add up, otherwise).

• Like 1

Commuter trains are mass-transport hub-and-spoke systems. There are no masses here to transport and no-one really wants hub-and-spoke systems - they want point-to-point.

Douglas is not that big, and a bus could make 3 or 4 stops across the town and passengers will never have very far to walk to get to their destination (the buses from the south could even make a stop by B&Q/Manx Telecom if there was sufficient demand). Trains merely go from one central point to another central point and the route cannot be modified.

All the tat signs that are being put on the MER track, the 10-ton weight capacity on the prom. so that a battery-powered light-rail system can be installed, is simply because there are so many gov. employees and MHKs who are nothing more than grown-up children who like playing with toy train sets.

Well, not entirely. There are certainly MHKs who think that three words - electricity, bicycles, trains - are going to save the planet, irrespective of the local environment being unsuitable for bicycles and trains.

• Thanks 1