Commuter Train

SecondThought

2 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

He's an unstoppable machine

4. The Hon. Member for Arbory, Castletown and Malew (Mr Moorhouse) to ask the
Chair of the Manx Utilities Authority –
What the total cost to the Manx Utilities Authority of absorbing the cost of price
increases to a) 31st March 2022; and b) 1st September 2022, has been.

Do you think he knew the chair was on a cruise ship or with Mr Callister still posting on facebook constantly he didn't know.  Mr Callister would have answered the question on teams, like he kept in touch with his different departmental meetings, giving it away he was not on island.

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1

The Commuter Train idea is nothing more than a wet dream of assorted anoraks and trainspotters who have a mental age of five years and believe they live on the Island of fucking Sodor. 

We don't have a population big enough to sustain such a thing, there's only 86,000 here and 40,000 of those already live in Douglas/Onchan/Braddan so wouldn't need to use it anyway. 

There's a lot that could be done with the bus services though to make it more sustainable. One example is the Peel bus arrives at Lord Street just 2 minutes after the Port Erin bus departs - so you get to spend another 20 minutes wasting time at in Lower Beirut Douglas.

• Like 1

A bit off topic,

but before all this commuter train thing was ever thought of, about 25 years ago a family moved from Douglas to Port Erin to run The Station Hotel. To save the son breaking up his schooling he used to commute to school, Port to Douglas, on the train. He preferred it to the bus, and it must have been pretty cool having the train literally on your doorstep. 

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

(But as I said above it doesn't really add up, otherwise).

Its just more crackpot doomed thinking. I actually think this Island has had it now after the pandemic. We have no action plan for anything and we're just going to spend more and more on this sort of useless virtue-signalling rubbish until there is nothing left. They used to say the IOM was 80,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock when its now 15,000 civil servants clinging on to a wallet.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, AOR said:

A bit off topic,

but before all this commuter train thing was ever thought of, about 25 years ago a family moved from Douglas to Port Erin to run The Station Hotel. To save the son breaking up his schooling he used to commute to school, Port to Douglas, on the train. He preferred it to the bus, and it must have been pretty cool having the train literally on your doorstep. 

I never knew Harry Potter lived in the Station Hotel.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They used to say the IOM was 80,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock when its now 15,000 civil servants clinging on to everybody else's wallet.

Fixed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This image is from Ramsey transport interchange, and is an example of the useless sign-mania that the DoI managers have (I doubt if MER enthusiasts demanded this). And then there is the crap plastic fencing and a green, yellow, and rust bus shelter, just to give a bit of extra vintage feeling:

2.jpeg.8d21d4eda4dc5bcf940d73826bf980e8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Its just more crackpot doomed thinking. I actually think this Island has had it now after the pandemic. We have no action plan for anything and we're just going to spend more and more on this sort of useless virtue-signalling rubbish until there is nothing left. They used to say the IOM was 80,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock when its now 15,000 civil servants clinging on to a wallet.

I have done the commuter train in the past. Annoyingly at the time you could not use your annual pass. The train ride home was pleasant. Couple of pints after work on a Friday, leisurely ride home. Great it is now £3.10. Hopefully, next year £2.00 with the price cap on buses. 

23 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect this is about the lack of buses on the South routes, which despite the press reports haven't been restored to what they were before.  I notice that Moorhouse has a question in the (now deferred) Tynwald: For buses which left Castletown Square for Douglas between 07.00 and 08.20 on each day from 5th to 9th September inclusive, what the total number of available seats was; what the total number of unoccupied seats was when the buses left Castletown Square; and how many seats were available on each of the five busiest buses, with date and time of departure.

Madly over-specific of course, but it does indicate that people have been complaining.

He’s highlighting an issue that the reduced frequency has reduced the number seats available. When we had a three an hour service previously they put double deckers on in the morning but Longwith switched to four an hour of single deckers. But now they’ve gone back to three an hour they’ve not enough double deckers. 

But the question is ridiculous because spare seats in Castletown Square aren’t necessarily spare in Ballasalla - particularly if a plane has just landed at the airport. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Declan said:

But the question is ridiculous because spare seats in Castletown Square aren’t necessarily spare in Ballasalla - particularly if a plane has just landed at the airport. 

Ian was just responding to the fact that we don't get many planes these days... 😂

5 hours ago, 0bserver said:

There's a lot that could be done with the bus services though to make it more sustainable. One example is the Peel bus arrives at Lord Street just 2 minutes after the Port Erin bus departs - so you get to spend another 20 minutes wasting time at in Lower Beirut Douglas.

The trick is to get off the Peel Bus on Peel Road and cross over. 

I think that might be what they intend you to do but they don’t publicise it and of course that presupposes that they actually intend anything. 

Just now, Declan said:

The trick is to get off the Peel Bus on Peel Road and cross over. 

I think that might be what they intend you to do but they don’t publicise it and of course that presupposes that they actually intend anything. 

Or we could just have a regular central point for transfers. Other places manage it 

5 hours ago, 0bserver said:

After I moved to Ramsey I was interested in getting a bus to the airport. Unfortunately there is no such thing - it is necessary to get two buses from The Gateway To The North to the airport. I went to the bus station, and asked about guaranteed bus connections to the Airport. There was a degree of eye-rolling and stifled laughter.

(In comparison, when I lived in Germany a local told me that out in the country if you are making a connection to another bus the driver will radio to warn the other driver that there is a passenger on the way.)