Douglas Tower

kevster

Just been listening to a programme on R4 about the Blackpool Tower and the presenter mentioned that there were plans for several other towers at the same time as the Blackpool one was being built. There was one planned for Douglas but didn’t get any further than a foundation stone. 
Does anyone know more about this?

31 minutes ago, kevster said:

Just been listening to a programme on R4 about the Blackpool Tower and the presenter mentioned that there were plans for several other towers at the same time as the Blackpool one was being built. There was one planned for Douglas but didn’t get any further than a foundation stone. 
Does anyone know more about this?

Hope these help.

5BBDE3E7-454B-4722-99F1-4B32E3450201.jpeg

88F85016-CDC9-44E8-83AB-7D71A14040E2.jpeg

7D17E750-C28F-42E4-8540-719FC73191D2.jpeg

9087788F-E856-4E06-97E5-1F7B2A36BD64.jpeg

E05AB63E-39AD-46FD-8EBE-D5E652F2A9F0.jpeg

A5F3C70A-BBA7-40C9-B53F-CDD7AC51127A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Look at that bridge!

If you look at the original tower design, lower half, you’ll see the roadway ramp  was supposed to spiral up to the bridge.

To give context the foundation stone was opposite the end of Walpole Avenue.

7F498E03-D4DD-4412-8E99-E0747AAFFA78.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If you look at the original tower design, lower half, you’ll see the roadway ramp  was supposed to spiral up to the bridge.

To give context the foundation stone was opposite the end of Walpole Avenue.

7F498E03-D4DD-4412-8E99-E0747AAFFA78.jpeg

Cheers John

I believe that part of the plan was to be able to signal between Blackpool, Douglas and a tower that was constructed in New Brighton. 

I have a feeling that even if it had been built, it would have been knocked down in the '80s or '90s by the most unimaginative regime we have ever had!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

I believe that part of the plan was to be able to signal between Blackpool, Douglas and a tower that was constructed in New Brighton. 

I have a feeling that even if it had been built, it would have been knocked down in the '80s or '90s by the most unimaginative regime we have ever had!

It’s well before, at least a decade, New Brighton Tower. And the foundations for Blackpool weren’t laid until a year later. Suspect the signalling plan is apocryphal.

Towers tended to have a short life. New Brighton was demolished in 1919. Morecambe in 1915.

• Like 1

Only cable cars I've heard of were the cable trams that used to run through upper Douglas until they were scrapped around 1930. There was a plan for cable trams on Crellin's Hill in the late 50s, something similar to the funicular railways at Douglas Head, Port Soderick and to the Falcon Cliff. Never happened though, tourism was on its way out soon after.