Arrivederci

0bserver

I still don’t get the hatred for Longworth. He doesn’t come across very charismatic and displays some narcissistic tendencies, but the condition of public transport has improved since he arrived. Buses and Rail. Yes he’s spent a lot of money, but he only spends what Treasury give him and if his business cases stack up over others then he’s going to get the funding. I go past the Fire Station every day, at least twice a day and look at all those expensive assets sat doing nothing all day. At least the buses, trains and trams add value and do provide the island with a degree of tourism. When we have drivers of course!! 
There are other civil servants I look at and wander why on earth are they still on the payroll, more so than I ever thought of Longworth 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, SpunkCookie said:

I still don’t get the hatred for Longworth. He doesn’t come across very charismatic and displays some narcissistic tendencies, but the condition of public transport has improved since he arrived.

Because of or despite of? I'd say the benefits of Longworth's 'reign' is hard to define when there's nothing to compare it with.

Buses and Rail. Yes he’s spent a lot of money, but he only spends what Treasury give him and if his business cases stack up over others then he’s going to get the funding.

How does his business case stack up? Losses abound, yet the spending continues. Did we really need to invest in all those mini-buses? Were bendy-buses part of his great experiment too?

I go past the Fire Station every day, at least twice a day and look at all those expensive assets sat doing nothing all day.

Well, if your gaff, or a relatives gaff catches fire you'd want the finest available tech to turn up and deal with it, wouldn't you? Those assets are important. 

At least the buses, trains and trams add value and do provide the island with a degree of tourism.

None of those services run at a profit. Where's the "value"?

When we have drivers of course!! 
There are other civil servants I look at and wander why on earth are they still on the payroll, more so than I ever thought of Longworth 

You're right but Longworth's just top of the pops. Another one will be along shortly... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, SpunkCookie said:

I still don’t get the hatred for Longworth

Have you ever had to deal with him? 

There's about 50 true stories I could tell you from first hand dealings (but I won't as it will cause bother for individuals still under DOI employment).

Just now, 0bserver said:

There's about 50 true stories I could tell you from first hand dealings (but I won't as it will cause bother for individuals still under DOI employment).

Exactly he’s just one big C U Next Tuesday who at least is now out of government. 

6 hours ago, quilp said:

Because of or despite of? I'd say the benefits of Longworth's 'reign' is hard to define when there's nothing to compare it with.

How does his business case stack up? Losses abound, yet the spending continues. Did we really need to invest in all those mini-buses? Were bendy-buses part of his great experiment too?

Well, if your gaff, or a relatives gaff catches fire you'd want the finest available tech to turn up and deal with it, wouldn't you? Those assets are important. 

None of those services run at a profit. Where's the "value"?

You're right but Longworth's just top of the pops. Another one will be along shortly... 

I can only compare it to the position public transport was in when he arrived, to how he left it. And whilst I believe the timetable hasn’t improved, probably got worse, the buses and railways have done so. The dining train is great in my view and probably his greatest achievement. 

God knows what was in his business cases but he has only spent what treasury have given him. They have supported the need for well presented and maintained fleet by handing him the cash. Can’t blame the man for spending it if he’s got permission 

I don’t need the finest tech to turn up and put the fire out, I need a reliable one that does the job. We seem to have a big fleet of modern fire engines for very little emergencies! I’m not saying they’re not important, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we’d spent more than we actually needed to.  
I’d argue the opposite on the buses as passenger comfort and experience is key to their use, so having a modern bus fleet seems sensible to encourage their use, particularly in this day and age when the government is trying to promote active travel and public transport use over car use. 

I think businesses on the island that benefit from tourism would argue there is value to having the heritage railways

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Now I want to know! 

Never dealt with him on an individual basis, but have been present when he’s been talking to larger groups. Do the interviews with Moulton count? 😂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SpunkCookie said:

God knows what was in his business cases but he has only spent what treasury have given him. They have supported the need for well presented and maintained fleet by handing him the cash. Can’t blame the man for spending it if he’s got permission.

The issue here was that he didn't have "permission". It's documented that the minibus fleet and some of the larger fleet was purchased without any political sanction and Treasury appears to have offered little financial scrutiny to much of his action.

20211231_180739.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Added Screenshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SpunkCookie said:

God knows what was in his business cases but he has only spent what treasury have given him. They have supported the need for well presented and maintained fleet by handing him the cash. Can’t blame the man for spending it if he’s got permission 

He has demanded the cash, not been 'given' it. Take the engine they pulled out of the museum for restoration as an example. He decided that that was what he wanted to happen and he made a massive fuss and stamped his feet and threw around threats and then they 'gave' him the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

The issue here was that he didn't have "permission". It's documented that the minibus fleet and some of the larger fleet was purchased without any political sanction and Treasury appears to have offered little financial scrutiny to much of his action.

20211231_180739.jpg

How does one spend capital money without a Tynwald vote? I thought all capital budgets appear in the pink book?  Which is a consequence of Tynwald vote. I wouldn’t know how much was spent in each year but I don’t get how you could spent more than what’s in the pink book without being dragged in front of the PAC

11 hours ago, SpunkCookie said:

I still don’t get the hatred for Longworth. He doesn’t come across very charismatic and displays some narcissistic tendencies, but the condition of public transport has improved since he arrived. Buses and Rail. Yes he’s spent a lot of money, but he only spends what Treasury give him and if his business cases stack up over others then he’s going to get the funding. I go past the Fire Station every day, at least twice a day and look at all those expensive assets sat doing nothing all day. At least the buses, trains and trams add value and do provide the island with a degree of tourism. When we have drivers of course!! 

Thanks for your input Mrs Longworth

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SpunkCookie said:

How does one spend capital money without a Tynwald vote? I thought all capital budgets appear in the pink book?  Which is a consequence of Tynwald vote. I wouldn’t know how much was spent in each year but I don’t get how you could spent more than what’s in the pink book without being dragged in front of the PAC

For a Newbie to come on here and defend one of the Islands worst ever CS Golden Bollocks and within a few posts climb down and quote Pink Book  & PAC - bewildering either you are Mrs   longtail or a snivelling train enthusiast- no need to post photos of your shit Regatta fleece if the latter.

There's a £4.5m 'capital' slush fund that's spent on stuff without Tynwald approving each item.

You're right! That's exactly how it should happen..........................................  but..............??????????????????

....but just like Lizzy, he's a person, he's gone, let's hope the likes of never returns but let him have his leaving do as it's our MHKs who should have questioned his performance long before now. Maybe they will now???