Isle of Man Government's ignorance towards the working people

Manx Bean

I would be interested in other people's views on a subject that has been quite foremost in my mind as there has been two examples in the past couple of weeks..and that is where the wonderful civil service/Government decide to lay on events that could be of interest to the public - but on working days. Two recent examples are the "Conference" at the Villa and the proclamation of King Charles today on Tynwald Hill.

I would have like to have gone to both, but simply can't because I'm at work to earn money and pay tax to keep them paid.

I would have gone to the proclamation at Government House on Sunday, but the media basically warned us off due to "limited parking" - which is Government code for "the great unwashed aren't welcome".

If these events are so important, why not make them available and accessible to as many as possible?

• Like 4

The government is not there to serve the working classes. It is there to support itself primarily, and whatever passes for the modern version of aristocracy.

This is a government that after ordering people to stay at home and tying a noose around the island during covid permanently closed the job centre. They couldn't give a shit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I can remember when the working people of this Isle were taught their propers and always reminded of their place. Step out of line and you paid the price, one way or another. Not so long ago. We've moved on a bit but that traditional Manx hierarchy is still very much in place. It's just a little more subtle these days, but scratch it and it's still there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I’ve just posted in the conference thread. I don’t actually think they want people there. Even when you sign up there is absolutely no communication. 

Why would you even want to attend a government controlled conference. They’ll nod their heads then when you’ve gone home laugh at the thought they’d take any notice of you

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I can remember when the working people of this Isle were taught their propers and always reminded of their place. Step out of line and you paid the price, one way or another. Not so long ago. We've moved on a bit but that traditional Manx hierarchy is still very much in place. It's just a little more subtle these days, but scratch it and it's still there.

Well they've just handed us over for another reign of liege-vassalage without so much as a by-your-leave from the GMP

• Like 4

It's how much notice they'll take of any public opinion or ideas that is the crux point. Look at all the other public surveys that have been carried out and the application of any opinions gleaned...?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's how much notice they'll take of any public opinion or ideas that is the crux point. Look at all the other public surveys that have been carried out and the application of any opinions gleaned...?

There will no doubt be lots of civil service shipped in on Tuesday and Wednesday next week to clap the genius of their masters grand plans to Dave the IOM. I can’t wait to go now.