More knobs protesting

Steady Eddie

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

No fair enough you didn't, you did say they should realise they're outnumbered though. 

A democratically elected head of state would take everybody's views about who it should be into account. It might not be my choice, it may not be yours, but it would be the choice of the consensus, the one more people wanted than any other one. At the moment nobody has any say at all as to who it is - it's left to pure luck. How can the latter be better than the former? I really don't see how anyone could possibly objectively argue that it is. 

So you would like someone like Trump in charge instead maybe PM him and ask him to try

16 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Removed after four years in office. Had he been the eldest son of George VI, could have been 70 years.

I appreciate that. I'm no supporter of the monarchy but it seems that those calling loudest for its removal don't exactly offer much of an alternative, and a republic with a democratically elected president automatically puts much more power into the hands of the head of state than we do now. And that as history has repeatedly shown, this is not always a good thing. I used the trump pic for laughs, there are other worse non regal heads of state I could have used.

Edited by manxfisherman

Strange arguments going on above. We are told the King/Queen has no power,  is merely a figurehead.  If that's the case then a Putin or Trump could also have the job , except they would not want it as they would have no power. The reality is that the monarchy is a very nice business for the family.  Massive privileges, loads of castles and land and a massive annual income.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Strange arguments going on above. We are told the King/Queen has no power,  is merely a figurehead.  If that's the case then a Putin or Trump could also have the job , except they would not want it as they would have no power. The reality is that the monarchy is a very nice business for the family.  Massive privileges, loads of castles and land and a massive annual income.  

And also a huge advert and money-spinner for the nation as a whole although I would agree that there are far and away too many hangers on in the Royal circle. Precisely how the death of QE2 will affect those national benefits remains to be seen.

17 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

I appreciate that. I'm no supporter of the monarchy but it seems that those calling loudest for its removal don't exactly offer much of an alternative, and a republic with a democratically elected president automatically puts much more power into the hands of the head of state than we do now. And that as history has repeatedly shown, this is not always a good thing. I used the trump pic for laughs, there are other worse non regal heads of state I could have used.

And what has history repeatedly shown about British monarch's? Is the history of the British empire something you really want to continue in any form?

A democratically elected head of state would have exactly the same power as they have now - the only ones with more power would be the electorate.

I can't believe anyone in this day and age wants to forgo democracy for an hereditary title, just because the last one worked out OK and there was a president on the other side of the world that you didn't like! It beggars belief and is extremely short sighted both forwards and back.

What are you scared of, having to take other people's view into account as well as your own?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And also a huge advert and money-spinner for the nation as a whole although I would agree that there are far and away too many hangers on in the Royal circle. Precisely how the death of QE2 will affect those national benefits remains to be seen.

Possibly a money spinner for the UK, definitely not for the IOM.

8 minutes ago, NoTail said:

And bring in more tourist $ than you could shake a stick at.

The little scrote who heckled Prince Andrew was dealt with rather harshly I thought. But in a way it was in his best interests. However the message seemed to be that we have freedom of speech and freedom to protest unless it's directed at "air miles Andy" that is. I swore an oath thus "I swear by almighty God that I will be faithful, and bear true allegiance to her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors etc etc" now as Andrew has shown himself to be a rather unsavoury character, to put it mildly, like brexiteers everywhere I feel like I've been taken for a mug as regards the 8th in line to the throne...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The little scrote who heckled Prince Andrew was dealt with rather harshly I thought. 

He voiced his frustration at Andrew buying his way around the justice system - whereupon two thugs violently dragged him to the floor by the scruff of the neck, and the police arrested him and not them. Can you imagine that in any other context?

Where the monarchy is concerned, many otherwise decent, logical, objectively thinking people just turn into irrational lunatics and hardly anyone bats an eyelid. It's almost like a cult and an extremely dangerous precedent to set, certainly not one that has any place in a modern civilised society.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

He voiced his frustration at Andrew buying his way around the justice system - whereupon two thugs violently dragged him to the floor by the scruff of the neck, and the police arrested him and not them. Can you imagine that in any other context?

Andrew is a nonce who is always going to court controversy. The odd thing seems to be already how he and Harry have been allowed to wear their uniforms again publicly which suggests maybe it was the Queen who was the one handing out the punishments and now Charles is trying to buy favours by revoking past restrictions imposed. Even a nonce though should be allowed to mourn his mother. There is a good 20 years left yet where every person or media outlet in the Kingdom can call him a nonce after his mum has been buried. 

5 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Out of court settlements are common in the US. The most litigious nation on earth have a "it's not about the principle it's all about the money" mindset. Which imho brought about this case in the first place.

The little scrote didn't really think it through though, did he? To shout insults at the Royals while surrounded by Royalists was never going to end well for him. Fortunately for him a copper was on hand to extricate and isolate him out of harm's way. Lucky boy...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m not so sure PK, he had some very dubious friends in Epstein, Maxwell & Winstein. The girls were too young to be involved with them even if they were aware of what was happening, still wrong (although… at least they got a go on a private jet and an iPod.😂). Andrew should have stayed out of sight this week, the young lad was not anti-Royal, he was anti rapey old man playboy & should not have been assaulted.

• Like 2