Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Not sure I agree with you but it's a bit subjective. My experience is that that does not have to be the case but hey, we all have different experiences. I went to a selective school but there were still disruptive kids (me included). 

There's disruptive and disruptive though. A kid shat in a bin, in a classroom, at my school. (It wasn't me).

7 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Some subjects are still mixed sets I believe. But even so, top stream in a regular school is going to be less able than a selective school is.

FFS just admit you & the rest you f the teachers have underperformed on exam results but want paying more than better performing teachers!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

FFS just admit you & the rest you f the teachers have underperformed on exam results but want paying more than better performing teachers!!

I support payrises for nurses too, I must have a very busy work life.

If you want better teachers you need competition for jobs. If you want competition for jobs, the jobs need to be competitive. It's not rocket science.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

And UK bankers will soon be able to receive bonuses worth over 200% of their salaries and pass less income tax...

But sure greedy and lazy teachers are the problem..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Why would a teacher want to be an ESO. Ghey get paid less. It doesnt matter what you are qualified to be, it's what you are employed as. If you are not employed as a teacher, you are not a teacher. End of.

Like I say, I am not dissing anyone nor bullying any one up. The law says there must be a teacher in the class. Being a teacher is like being pregnant.  You either are, or you ain't. 

Ask them.  It may be because they don’t want to work full time.  Not have to deal with open and parents evenings.  Maybe not write reports and have to deal with INSET days and marking, write schemes or work etc.

They simply turn up and teach what has been set by the teacher or their department leader.

An ESO can (and some do) get paid more than a teacher.   Not all teachers work full time, not all ESOs work full time.  Some do. (37hrs/365).  

An NQT starting out will earn less than an FT ESO Level3 with a few years experience.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What sort of pay rise do we actually need to give teachers, nurses etc to make them want to live and work here?

Because until we have genuinely affordable housing, for many we are not an attractive proposition.

Someone made a great point at the weekend- unaffordable energy is a national crisis, unaffordable housing is a cause for celebration.

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

What sort of pay rise do we actually need to give teachers, nurses etc to make them want to live and work here?

Because until we have genuinely affordable housing, for many we are not an attractive proposition.

Someone made a great point at the weekend- unaffordable energy is a national crisis, unaffordable housing is a cause for celebration.

It’s all now going to flip. Mortgages likely going up substantially so if you’re already on the ladder your costs are going to go up hugely. If you haven’t been able to buy then house prices will be coming down. If you’re a Buy To Let investor with a mortgage then it’s time to sell. 

During the lockdowns the delivery of education was (understandably) patchy. Some kids were receiving reasonable quality lessons and homework, whilst others were getting something less than adequate. As parents were pulling their hair out trying to juggle their own work commitments with looking after their kids, (some) teachers were sighted cycling, walking, jogging, etc. One should not generalise, but this perceived ‘double-standard’ skewed public opinion against the profession, somewhat. That said, the anti-teacher sentiment is bizarre. IMHO, if their offspring are anything like some posters on MF, then teachers definitely deserve inflation-busting pay increases and extra holidays, if for no other reason than this will allow them to de-stress.

With the exception of MHKs, senior civil servants, well-off pensioners and HNWIs, many more residents will be squeezed by the escalating cost-of-living crisis. In the months ahead, gas bills will rise sharply, mortgage rates are already going up, and the prices of most essentials are rising too. Dr Alex has asked the GMP to not ‘talk ourselves into a recession’. This is an easy thing to say, but much more difficult thing to do, when the government has not actually done much to stave off what looks like becoming an inflationary recession. The IOMG’s recently announced ‘financial sticking plasters’ will only last so long and will only help certain residents.

As strikes for higher pay will undoubtedly sweep across the UK and some pay rises will be granted, instead of sneering at the IOM teachers’ strike, more of the GMP should probably support them. Going forward, ‘strikes in some form’ maybe the only option for some IOM residents to obtain decent pay, sufficient for them to survive the coming winter.

23 minutes ago, code99 said:

As strikes for higher pay will undoubtedly sweep across the UK and some pay rises will be granted, instead of sneering at the IOM teachers’ strike, more of the GMP should probably support them. Going forward, ‘strikes in some form’ maybe the only option for some IOM residents to obtain decent pay, sufficient for them to survive the coming winter.

I can’t see many people supporting them to be honest. Just a vocal minority on here under a cloak of anonymity. Even the Facebook support is tepid and largely from teachers themselves. Almost everyone else who has kids at school seems to be pissed off with the way their kids have been taught in the last two years especially. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

See.  Now they are all at it.

Bow down to one lot and the whole civil service will end up wanting more.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/negotiations-to-continue-into-pay-and-working-conditions/

Where does it end?  What would this lot do if suddenly the private sector all started going on strike?

The solution here is for government to offer packages that help everyone with fuel bills, food for those who really need it, affordable accommodation etc.

It is NOT to allow certain groups to hold us to ransom and create an ever bigger disparity between different sectors and expect the rest of us to pay for their pay rises.

They seem to forget that even any sort of annual rise is relatively rare in the real world and certainly not a given.

Alternatively they could try and find a better job with better pay and benefits in the private sector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1