50 Years on Isle of Man Holidays

Lilly

Searching through old suitcase l came across a paper called The Isle of Man holidays news dated 1970. Wow, Douglas sounds a really exciting place for visitors and locals.  Quote  Douglas.  It's the capital of the Isle of Man, and CAPITAL it is!  Douglas, the bright, bustling and beautiful Naples of the North, a Hive of holiday fun behind it spectacular two-mile crescent of sea front and sandy shore.  

Progress ? If that's what we had! l wonder, what it could have actually become? Or maybe we don't  really want it? Are we really being  honest with ourselves, I'm not too sure,  l think l really like the quiet pace of life here, however, it's not good for economy is it, we somehow have be able to pay our way for services we all expect, enjoy.

Just a thought.

Lilly, I can remember going to the pictures at about that time where they showed an ad for the IOM  referring to Douglas as having "all the excitement and nightlife of a continental resort".  Bragging about all the different ways to get here and, of course, the world famous TT races.

Could never understand why they were screening that ad when the people watching it were already here. 

It was usually followed by an advert for Bridson and Horrox (the Brid pronounced like Bridlington) and an ad for Onchan Park (Onchan pronounced like the ch in change).

I thought Pearl and Dean ads were so sophisticated when I went to Uni!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Lilly, I can remember going to the pictures at about that time where they showed an ad for the IOM  referring to Douglas as having "all the excitement and nightlife of a continental resort".  Bragging about all the different ways to get here and, of course, the world famous TT races.

Could never understand why they were screening that ad when the people watching it were already here. 

It was usually followed by an advert for Bridson and Horrox (the Brid pronounced like Bridlington) and an ad for Onchan Park (Onchan pronounced like the ch in change).

An hour from now you'll wish you had one...

Late seventies and early eighties the local papers used to have a centre pages supplement called "Summer Scene" which listed all the available attractions and advertisements for, throughout the summer season. I found it a couple of years ago when I was up the Museum trawling through the old papers (on microfilm) for some stuff. It brought the memories flooding back....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Searching through old suitcase l came across a paper called The Isle of Man holidays news dated 1970. Wow, Douglas sounds a really exciting place for visitors and locals.  Quote  Douglas.  It's the capital of the Isle of Man, and CAPITAL it is!  Douglas, the bright, bustling and beautiful Naples of the North, a Hive of holiday fun behind it spectacular two-mile crescent of sea front and sandy shore.  

Peoples expectations were so low in those days. It was either come here or go to Blackpool or Llandudno. 

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Low cost international travel killed the IOM tourist industry.

Not strictly true. The foreign package holiday, with guaranteed sunshine, the excitement of 'going abroad' , while being able to eat fish and chips and drink Watney's Red Barrel killed IOM mass tourism.

Low cost international travel, as we now know it, came much later. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Not strictly true. The foreign package holiday, with guaranteed sunshine, the excitement of 'going abroad' , while being able to eat fish and chips and drink Watney's Red Barrel killed IOM mass tourism.

Low cost international travel, as we now know it, came much later. 

I would call a foreign package holiday "low cost international travel" personally, but I take your point :)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Ah that's a wonderful memory Gladys, the paper actually list the entertainment at that time absolutely loads of it, it look great fun!

35 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Peoples expectations were so low in those days. It was either come here or go to Blackpool or Llandudno. 

Actually,  l was surprised at the massive choice of entertainment on offer in the paper.  Maybe we were more satisfied with what we got!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Low cost international travel killed the IOM tourist industry.

Combined with our high cost local travel nowadays...?

Never mind, now the Prom is done they'll be flooding back soon.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

Having worked in lots of the guest houses and hotels back in those days very few maintained their equipment and ploughed very little back into their businesses . And as soon as late September early October came round they would be off for the winter to warmer climates . Back in March , botch it all up for the coming season . Generalisation of course , some were good but most not.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2