50 Years on Isle of Man Holidays

Lilly

7 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Having worked in lots of the guest houses and hotels back in those days very few maintained their equipment and ploughed very little back into their businesses . And as soon as late September early October came round they would be off for the winter to warmer climates . Back in March , botch it all up for the coming season . Generalisation of course , some were good but most not.

A lot of the staff accommodation was horrific literally living in loft spaces with the Pigeons!

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

A lot of the staff accommodation was horrific literally living in loft spaces with the Pigeons!

Your right , usually the attic with 3 or 4 to a little room. Terrible what the Irish , Scots and Scouse girls,  mainly ,had to put up with .  

Edited by Numbnuts

15 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Having worked in lots of the guest houses and hotels back in those days very few maintained their equipment and ploughed very little back into their businesses . And as soon as late September early October came round they would be off for the winter to warmer climates . Back in March , botch it all up for the coming season . 

That's about right. The hoteliers took their eye off the ball. Some of those hotels even in the 1990s were like time machines going back to the 40s and beyond. They may even have had signs proclaiming "Hot and Cold Water", although an indoor toilet was a given and was indeed a luxury for those visitors from the back to back streets of mill towns with their shared outdoor lavvies.

I was working with some brickies on the  New Hospital, early 2000s. There were a dozen of them sharing a bathroom/bog on one floor of one of the promenade hotels. One explained that at home, even his 10 year old daughter had her own ensuite bathroom.

Summerland [fire] didn't help, although it was a fantastic initiative at just the right time, and ahead of its time. 

Edited by AOR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AOR said:

That's about right. The hoteliers took their eye off the ball. Some of those hotels even in the 1990s were like time machines going back to the 40s and beyond. They may even have had signs proclaiming "Hot and Cold Water", although an indoor toilet was a given and was indeed a luxury for those visitors from the back to back streets of mill towns with their shared outdoor lavvies.

I was working with some brickies on the  New Hospital, early 2000s. There were a dozen of them sharing a bathroom/bog on one floor of one of the promenade hotels. One explained that at home, even his 10 year old daughter had her own ensuite bathroom.

Summerland didn't help, although it was a fantastic initiative at just the right time, and ahead of its time. 

I stayed in digs in the Marina late 80's ,early 90's and the one bath and toilet on a landing was still standard. Small rooms , mine was 12 ft x 8 ft with the obligatory sink in there . And in TT week the long stayers would have to move out for the bikers. Luckily I must have been liked , or room was to small to let it out so they let me stay.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Combined with our high cost local travel nowadays...?

Never mind, now the Prom is done they'll be flooding back soon.

Really! Do you think so? I'm not so sure.  I walk the whole of the beach daily with my faithful labrador and the height between the walkway and the beach has almost gone in some places. The seaweed is a massive problem although it could be used for other purposes. The last steps before tram Station the beach  looks pretty awful smells of a slight sulphur type odour?? And tons of seaweed.  Sorry, or did you mean the actual new road layout. 

1 minute ago, Lilly said:

Really! Do you think so? I'm not so sure.  I walk the whole of the beach daily with my faithful labrador and the height between the walkway and the beach has almost gone in some places. The seaweed is a massive problem although it could be used for other purposes. The last steps before tram Station the beach  looks pretty awful smells of a slight sulphur type odour?? And tons of seaweed.  Sorry, or did you mean the actual new road layout. 

I was being less than sincere... 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Nothing's been done to allivate the sea overflowing the prom when rough so expect it closed several times this next winter. They are not getting away without damage to so expect rumblings , and rightly so , from locals . Your right and despite what some on here say the high level to the beach is not going to help the overtopping. .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

Nothing's been done to allivate the sea overflowing the prom when rough so expect it closed several times this next winter. They are not getting away without damage to so expect rumblings , and rightly so , from locals . Your right and despite what some on here say the high level to the beach is not going to help the overtopping. .

Yes you are right, l don't understand why the sand levels have risen so sharply in the last few years, l often drove that way to work and wondered why it wasn't dealt with as it obviously would cause future issues. Maybe the people in charge just didn't see it/notice 🤔 

4 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Yes you are right, l don't understand why the sand levels have risen so sharply in the last few years, l often drove that way to work and wondered why it wasn't dealt with as it obviously would cause future issues. Maybe the people in charge just didn't see it/notice 🤔 

It started to go noticably wrong when first the Pier was extended and the Groynes , the wooden barriers , were removed from the beach . Also they have stopped adjusting the build up for many years now. Yes they have moved the seaweed but thats about it. Its going to be a big mess if we get a heavy onshore storm . 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Lilly said:

As said above, but also lack of maintenance. A couple of blokes in a couple of JCBs could have the sand moved away from the sea wall in a couple of weeks, allowing the wall to do its job. A bit of maintenance twice a year will keep it at bay until the chines / groynes are replaced. 

However, the powers that be, in their wisdom have decided a multi million pound project to build the wall up by a metre (which the sand will soon meet) is a better idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cambon said:

As said above, but also lack of maintenance. A couple of blokes in a couple of JCBs could have the sand moved away from the sea wall in a couple of weeks, allowing the wall to do its job. A bit of maintenance twice a year will keep it at bay until the chines / groynes are replaced. 

However, the powers that be, in their wisdom have decided a multi million pound project to build the wall up by a metre (which the sand will soon meet) is a better idea. 

Isn't the wall also only going to around the War memorial ? And reinforced glass ? My money is on the sea winning that one .