Cannan on Tour

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

Any mention of who will be accompanying Alf? I've looked and can't find any reference to any team going along with him. 

The press release doesn't say, but I doubt he'll be going alone.

They do have a page covering such expenses on the website, though it doesn't cover anything done prior to this administration or done by other Departments.  There's usually between 1 and 3 officials, though Alf did manage four nights in Birmingham "Promoting the Isle of Man at the Commonwealth Games" without anyone to hold his hand.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Banker said:

Meanwhile the only night shelter for homeless closing, perhaps the cost of these trips would be better spent on sorting a replacement shelter!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/conversations-have-begun-for-permanent-emergency-shelter/

The night shelter could be funded with the money that we waste on the horse trams. £600k a year would provide enough to cover it. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Banker said:

Meanwhile the only night shelter for homeless closing, perhaps the cost of these trips would be better spent on sorting a replacement shelter!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/conversations-have-begun-for-permanent-emergency-shelter/

It doesn't seem to be a problem with money as much as not being able to find people to run it - either paid staff or volunteers.

• Like 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

It doesn't seem to be a problem with money as much as not being able to find people to run it - either paid staff or volunteers.

They had been advertising for a manager but I would imagine they wouldn’t have got many applicants. 

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

How much funding do they have to operate? Didn't even know we had a night shelter to be honest.

Don’t know to be honest. I just saw the job advertised in the courier and thought you’d be dealing with piss heads and problems all the time and they’ll be lucky to get anyone committed. 

• Like 1