DOI Wasting More Money

0bserver

9 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Ha, I can picture this as some sort of lesson about a (relatively) wealthy small dumb trusting village being taken to the cleaners by various evil construction companies.

Could even be a film financed by the same small dumb trusting village !

9 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Ha, I can picture this as some sort of lesson about a (relatively) wealthy small dumb trusting village being taken to the cleaners by various evil construction companies.

Or a version of Waking Ned where the entire senior management team of the DOI are revealed to be a team of well preserved corpses that have been strategically poised to look like they’re still alive who have been running all these over budget projects for the last 10 years. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Or a version of Waking Ned where the entire senior management team of the DOI are revealed to be a team of well preserved corpses that have been strategically poised to look like they’re still alive who have been running all these over budget projects for the last 10 years. 

They're all alive and well enough to be claiming their pensions and lump sums at the end of it though. And absolving themselves of any responsibility  for anything that may have cost the taxpayer millions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, hissingsid said:

They are looking to extend the visiting season through the Autumn to possibly the Winter.   If they are to do this they will have to extend services.   I am not saying this is a good idea just stating the intention.

services you say ???   extend ?   i'm seeing a flaw in your statement here.

10 hours ago, hissingsid said:

They are looking to extend the visiting season through the Autumn to possibly the Winter.   If they are to do this they will have to extend services.   I am not saying this is a good idea just stating the intention.

We do normally get a few late season coach trips of oldies, maybe there are more booked? I think there have been loads this year, despite all the doom, be interesting to hear from the tourist board. In normal times we'd generally get more in the early spring before they'd got round to opening, I always thought that was weird, coaches of 70 yr olds staring at castle rushen in march, unable to get in. Might be better off extending the season that way.

Good to see all these government  departments working together ,  coach business has been building nicely  , so why is the promenade and Quayside in Peel being dug up and closed until may 2023  for a vanity project?  it must be effecting business in Peel and other places , but we must be seen to be wasting money on something !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Good to see all these government  departments working together ,  coach business has been building nicely  , so why is the promenade and Quayside in Peel being dug up and closed until may 2023  for a vanity project?  it must be effecting business in Peel and other places , but we must be seen to be wasting money on something !

I think they have a few teams out in vans monitoring the Island and when things look like they’re running too smoothly they send in a crack team to fuck it all up for a bit just to keep local traders in their place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Speaking of the DOI.

There's signs in the sea terminal for departing passengers stating that boarding cards must be shown at the departure gate.

However the IOMSP no longer issue boarding cards if the confirmation shows a QR code.

DOI can't even get a sign correct 

30 minutes ago, snowman said:

Speaking of the DOI.

There's signs in the sea terminal for departing passengers stating that boarding cards must be shown at the departure gate.

However the IOMSP no longer issue boarding cards if the confirmation shows a QR code.

The QR code is your e-boarding card. Same thing with planes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snowman said:

Speaking of the DOI.

It saves the rather pointless checkin procedure if you have no luggage to check. As John says, it’s like at the airport where you can go straight to departure. 

17 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Somewhat late in the day they have realised that the visitor season starts with Valentine's Day and the February half term, and ends with Hop-tu-Naa at the end of October

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Somewhat late in the day they have realised that the visitor season starts with Valentine's Day and the February half term, and ends with Hop-tu-Naa at the end of October

Except they are opening to the end of November, not October and didn't start this year till 1 April.  The DfE (who are presumably funding this) would be better starting 2023 earlier and publicising this.

6 hours ago, 0bserver said:

There's been a bit of blurb about the Visit IOM agency extending the season but absolutely zero financial or KPIs. 

How will they measure the success (or otherwise) of their grand idea?

Well the usage of the transport/MNH sites would be the obvious metric, but neither strike me as particularly good for recording numbers, at least of those who aren't paying (season ticket holders, reciprocal members and so on).   Someone mentioned during the Conference that the Passenger Survey (we never even got the 2019 figures) wasn't being done this year, so they won't even have that, if that's true.  It's all very much what you expect of DfE - something thrown together without much thought at last minute.  The intention isn't to do something, it's to make it look as if they're doing something.

• Like 1