DESC has no policy for student Furbies

Gladys

More sad woke bullshit. We could have the prospect of a nuclear in conflict in Europe next week but here we have a group of immature children wanting to assert their right to dress up as cartoon characters at school and for the school to accept that right. This generation is going to learn a really hard lesson about many things. 

• Like 4

When I was a kid, when I was a little boy, I always wanted to be a dinosaur. I wanted to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex more than anything in the world. I made my arms short and I roamed the backyard, I chased the neighborhood cats, I growled and I roared. Everybody knew me and was afraid of me.

And one day my dad said, 'Bobby, you are 17. It's time to throw childish things aside,' and I said, 'Okay, Pop.' But he didn't really say that, he said, 'Stop being a fucking dinosaur and get a job.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, BriT said:

More sad woke bullshit. We could have the prospect of a nuclear in conflict in Europe next week but here we have a group of immature children wanting to assert their right to dress up as cartoon characters at school and for the school to accept that right. This generation is going to learn a really hard lesson about many things. 

The furry thing predates my generation, which predates the current generation of schoolkids.

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

And one day my dad said, 'Bobby, you are 17. It's time to throw childish things aside,' and I said, 'Okay, Pop.' But he didn't really say that, he said, 'Stop being a fucking dinosaur and get a job.'

Daddy what should I be when I grow up? Taken seriously son. Taken seriously!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BriT said:

Great way to confused the Russians though! They point a gun at them and they just roll over and say "miaow" 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

When I was a kid, when I was a little boy, I always wanted to be a dinosaur. I wanted to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex more than anything in the world. I made my arms short and I roamed the backyard, I chased the neighborhood cats, I growled and I roared. Everybody knew me and was afraid of me.

Yes, kids do like dressing up, my son loved to wear his Spiderman outfit, but that was when he was little and certainly not to school.   If that is all this really is then it's a non-story, unless they want to wear their costumes to school or demand special treatment.

A good dose of 'Stop bring a fucking dinosaur and get a job' isn't a bad idea, indulgence just avoids building resilience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I'll probably be slammed for this, but one way of determining if it is a real mental health issue: put them in a room with lots of spiders.  If they run out screaming, it's self-indulgence.  If they come out licking their lips, we have a real issue. 

Well, if we're playing "Inappropriate Suggestions Top Trumps", perhaps they should be neutered?

• Haha 1

I wonder what Jason Moorehouse MHK view on this is, considering he was a teacher. Also perhaps the DESC can give a breakdown of schools where children identify themselves as an animal? I wonder if Jason Moorehouse had an animals which he taught? Did he take them out for walkies? 

The island is sinking deeper and deeper, yet the powers that be come out with this nonsense. It proves how little other areas affecting islanders are being looked at. 

Edited by 2112

39 minutes ago, Twitch said:

This is the kind of story that the likes of Piers Morgan and the tabloid press pick up on. Not sure it would be welcome publicity somehow..

It's the sort of story that they pick up on for two reasons.  Firstly because it gets lots of people, who believe any old rubbish they read in the papers, upset and indignant about stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with them and about which they know sod all.  Secondly there is absolutely nothing in the story, which means they can make up any old stuff without having to do any investigation.

All that actually happened here is that someone  asked  the DESC a long question via FoI (Case ID: 2601681;  Title: Children who don't identify as human) and got a short answer:

image.png.8f12fd594e4b4d4b4aae9498a92b60b9.png

Image only as that's what they posted.  Replied to on 22 September (after about the max time) so I suspect the FoI wasn't from Manx Radio as even they would have covered it before.

So a perfectly sensible answer about what is probably a non-existent problem - certainly not enough of one for DESC to know about it.  Not that it will stop many people using it as an excuse to wet their knickers in indignation about Kids These Days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

People want to be all sorts of things when they’re 6 years old but here we’re talking about a secondary high school considering a policy to support the wishes of children (of the age of 12 plus) who want to be identified as something other than human. And where the Department of Education, Sport and Culture has confirmed a range of pastoral support is available to meet the ‘social and emotional needs’ of pupils.

Its all absolute bullshit, and it’s time we started calling time on all this bullshit too. Do you know what the school policy should be? Probably fucking well grow or or we’ll refer you to a shrink for a diagnosis.