Jump to content

MGP get kiss of death from Minister Hooper


Manx Bean
 Share

Recommended Posts

There is no doubt an agenda to kill off the MGP by certain people in government , but beware of what you wish for , the MGP is a feeder or new riders for  the TT  and many of the unpaid  officials   make themselves  available for both events , I recon if you loose one event the other will follow , 

If its is governments ambition to grow the tourist figures   and bring more economic benefit to the islands economy ,then the races outperform any other events , this includes the Steam packet and airlines who both benefit significantly where during those periods they have capacity figures

I am surprised there has not been more concern expressed from the retail and hospitality sectors  who are dependent on the significant  income  both events provide 

Shortening the MGP programme is definitely  a nail in the coffin  and despite what the chairman of the Manx motorcycle club  and other government voices have stated  the 2022 MGP classic festival  was a let down for many ,with grid numbers restricted and only  24 starters in one race   it just never got going ,and sadly disappointed  many fans  many stuck for extra days with nothing to see or do , 

WE need to realise these fans pay £thousands to get here ,but without a decent race programme  with days off when they can spend money in other parts of the island  or attend other  motorcycle related events  such as  vintage , trials,  Enduro,  sprint , we are at risk of loosing both the TT and MGP ,

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If there's an agenda to kill off the MGP and the TT, it's coming from the likes of locals who either don't want the events or are widely spreading conspiracy stories, a shortage of marshals particularly at the MGP and a shortage of medics willing to man the event after the Bank Holiday. This is mainly due to the lower profile of the MGP to the TT. People don't give so freely of their time any more. The majority of competitors preferred the shorter event due to the ridiculous amount of time they previously had to spend on the island, almost three weeks after signing on and being able to get off the island!

Insurers dictate a lot of safety expectations and the ACU as the governing body, are forced to impose them when licensing the course. Whether these impositions are effective or not is immaterial, they have to be followed.  

There was severe doubt this year as to whether the MGP would run for various reasons. Covid had caused many club riders to have lapsed licenses which could not be upgraded in time, the doubts meant that the racing was finalised late causing difficulties for riders in obtaining Mountain Course licenses, securing machinery and funding, in fact a whole raft of issues needed to be overcome in a very short space of time. 

There's no government agenda to kill off the racing, we just need to adapt it to the current racing and social climate. The only buoyant racing series in the UK and Ireland at present is the top level BSB, and even they are shedding some of their support classes for next year. Competitors are not as numerous as they once were. Many reasons for this, escalating costs being the major one.

Unfortunately this year, many were carrying over bookings from 2020 and found themselves here longer than needed. If the racing was programmed to run at the old format, the Wednesday and Friday races would have been cancelled due to a shortage of officials. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Unfortunately this year, many were carrying over bookings from 2020 and found themselves here longer than needed. If the racing was programmed to run at the old format, the Wednesday and Friday races would have been cancelled due to a shortage of officials. 

That makes no sense.  The officials weren't there because the racing wasn't on.  If it had been, they would have been there.

The new format seems to have been driven by an entirely theoretical belief that people would come to experience it as a (choice of two) short break holidays.  But the Isle of Man isn't a short break destination and racing fans don't want it as a short-break.  The practicalities are against it.  And the new format seems to have been designed to maximise inconvenience to the public while minimising any earnings for the tourism sector.

However this is the Isle of Man and the one undying rule is that no decision made by the civil service can ever to admitted to be wrong, no matter how unsuccessful the outcome or blatant the failure.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That makes no sense.  The officials weren't there because the racing wasn't on.  If it had been, they would have been there.

The new format seems to have been driven by an entirely theoretical belief that people would come to experience it as a (choice of two) short break holidays.  But the Isle of Man isn't a short break destination and racing fans don't want it as a short-break.  The practicalities are against it.  And the new format seems to have been designed to maximise inconvenience to the public while minimising any earnings for the tourism sector.

However this is the Isle of Man and the one undying rule is that no decision made by the civil service can ever to admitted to be wrong, no matter how unsuccessful the outcome or blatant the failure.

Not at all Roger, past years have shown that many marshals and medics wanted to get home after the bank holiday, which left the Wednesday and Friday undermanned. A lot do the TT and MGP and struggle with holiday allowances.

The new format reduces inconvenience to locals and makes it easier to get sufficient marshals, it also reduces the strain on competitors in financial and time commitment terms. 

Traditionally practice week had very few visitors and people came to watch the racing only. An adjustment to the pattern allows people to spend their seven days here for the whole event rather than just part of it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Not at all Roger, past years have shown that many marshals and medics wanted to get home after the bank holiday, which left the Wednesday and Friday undermanned. A lot do the TT and MGP and struggle with holiday allowances.

The new format reduces inconvenience to locals and makes it easier to get sufficient marshals, it also reduces the strain on competitors in financial and time commitment terms. 

Traditionally practice week had very few visitors and people came to watch the racing only. An adjustment to the pattern allows people to spend their seven days here for the whole event rather than just part of it!

I can absolutely see where you are coming from that ‘resources’ - marshals, officials other volunteers are a scarce commodity, and the schedule has to reflect this. It makes good sense to ‘cut your coat’ accordingly.

However, the TT organisers are conveniently ignoring such factors in trying to expand their programme, making the race period longer with more races. I know that there are more marshals in the mix for the TT period, but it does seem a bit odd that the two meetings are heading off in totally opposite directions! 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't the real problem when looking at events like the TT and MGP that their true costs are never reflected anywhere?

Neither event could go ahead without the freely given voluntary contribution of their spare time (including holidays) of several hundred people.  

What would happen to any viability study of the TT and MGP if those costs (and associated invisible costs like the cost of social and economic disruption due to road closures etc, and potential disruption to medical treatement of island residents etc) were correctly taken into account in a comprehensive cost-benefit analysis of the events?

It seems to me that any event that relies for its continued existence on the goodwill and unpaid contribution of their free time of hundreds of volunteers is not economically sustainable in the long term.

That's not to say that all human or social activity has to be justified on purely economic grounds (eg charities) but I'm not sure what other justification there is for road racing on the IoM.  Tradition?  Half the residents like it?  Half the residents don't like it?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Isn't the real problem when looking at events like the TT and MGP that their true costs are never reflected anywhere?

Neither event could go ahead without the freely given voluntary contribution of their spare time (including holidays) of several hundred people.  

What would happen to any viability study of the TT and MGP if those costs (and associated invisible costs like the cost of social and economic disruption due to road closures etc, and potential disruption to medical treatement of island residents etc) were correctly taken into account in a comprehensive cost-benefit analysis of the events?

It seems to me that any event that relies for its continued existence on the goodwill and unpaid contribution of their free time of hundreds of volunteers is not economically sustainable in the long term.

That's not to say that all human or social activity has to be justified on purely economic grounds (eg charities) but I'm not sure what other justification there is for road racing on the IoM.  Tradition?  Half the residents like it?  Half the residents don't like it?

Many festivals and events rely on the goodwill and unpaid contribution of time. Glastonbury, Leeds, Isle  of Wight,Reading, Most music festivals do.

There are many organisations seeking volunteers for racing events too, including cycling, running, rallies and motor racing. 

It's not at all unusual. Quite the opposite in fact. Volunteers are a crucial part of most large events. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The GP and TT hasn’t been the same for donkey years. The number of visitors are falling all the time. The money made in tax from home stay and charging people to watch o on their property must be bringing in a hell of a lot of money than it use too. Where is that going?there wasn’t any of that years ago. Marshals and other volunteers should be paid. There is a lot of people making a lot . If I was a marshal I would be wanting my slice of the pie  and why not they have been doing it for free for years whilst others have been filling there pockets. The prize funds should be more too. You can’t see the wood for the trees .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

[...] The money made in tax from home stay and charging people to watch o on their property must be bringing in a hell of a lot of money than it use[d] too. Where is that going? there wasn’t any of that years ago. 

You don't pay income tax on rental money from Homestay (at least if it's less than £2350) and I doubt anyone taking money for letting people view from their garden declares it.  So there will be less money to the government than there would have been in the past, where VAT and tax would have been paid by hotel and guest house owners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

You don't pay income tax on rental money from Homestay (at least if it's less than £2350) and I doubt anyone taking money for letting people view from their garden declares it.  So there will be less money to the government than there would have been in the past, where VAT and tax would have been paid by hotel and guest house owners.

That’s even worse then, if a person rents out a room/s is not taxed and people are taking payments to watch in their garden has not being monitored. It sounds a bit unfair that some can make money and some make nothing at all. A bit greedy. The marshals should be paid and the prizes for the riders should be more. Without them both, no one would make a penny.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...