Jump to content

Extending the 'tourist' season


Moghrey Mie
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Banker said:

But 40 years ago was before cheap packages holidays to the sun started, budget airlines,Airbnb, internet etc etc so no competition 

40 years ago was 1982. Cheap packages, budget airlines ( Laker etc) have been around since early/mid seventies.

Battalions of well paid and pensioned local civil servants are a much more recent development, early noughties onwards.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Banker said:

But 40 years ago was before cheap packages holidays to the sun started, budget airlines,Airbnb, internet etc etc so no competition 

 

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

40 years ago was 1982. Cheap packages, budget airlines ( Laker etc) have been around since early/mid seventies.

Battalions of well paid and pensioned local civil servants are a much more recent development, early noughties onwards.  

Tourist industry has been on the slide since the 1960’s, which is when package holidays started. Charter flights, bucket seat shops.

The last hurrah of the Manx tourist industry was 1979 and Millenium.

It was ruined by lack of investment. Hoteliers worked hard all season and then went away for the winter months. More than half the rooms on the prom ( excluding the Sefton, Metropole, Villiers. Palace, Continental ) weren’t en-suite. Half the rooms were in an outlet overlooking a dank brick yard and the bedrooms in the outlet of house next door.

Yes, there were grants to instal en-suites. But you can’t do that without losing rooms and that affects occupancy and revenue. Hotels weren’t double glazed and most had no heating. Out of season wasn’t pleasant.

The various Tourist Boards did their best with attractions and promotions and themed events. But the industry didn’t invest.

There was a move to self catering in the market. Planning refused all applications to convert. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Don't spoil his moment. He wants to blame the civil servants for it. Let's face it they get the blame for everything else so why stop now. 

I went to Jersey the other week. I don’t see their tourist industry in decline even in October. This Island however has had 40 years to find a strategy that works and has done little of benefit to anyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I went to Jersey the other week. I don’t see their tourist industry in decline even in October. This Island however has had 40 years to find a strategy that works and has done little of benefit to anyone. 

Jersey has always had bigger, better, hotels. Our industry, until recently, was dominated by boarding houses and private hotels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I went to Jersey the other week. I don’t see their tourist industry in decline even in October. This Island however has had 40 years to find a strategy that works and has done little of benefit to anyone. 

I think jersey is a different place in many ways. My point though is why do you think it's all down to CSs. It seems to be an obsession 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

How is the Premier Inn doing? Is it a success?

It seems very busy. Not sure it’s tourists though as the only view is of a multi story carpark. It seems to be largely used by itinerant workers and at weekends locals who stay in town rather than taxi back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think jersey is a different place in many ways. My point though is why do you think it's all down to CSs. It seems to be an obsession 

Ok so we employ a department of tourism and a department of enterprise at the cost of many millions of pounds a year to grow our tourist sector. Why do you think that they are not a large contributor to the total failure of the Manx tourist sector when their entire role and function is to grow our tourist sector? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...