Fog Horn

0bserver

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Has the Douglas Harbour fog horn been upgraded? It sounds extra loud this evening. 

Dunno, but they were all supposedly redundant 20 odd years ago due to modern technology yet you often hear Douglas's in the background on MR.

18 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Has the Douglas Harbour fog horn been upgraded? It sounds extra loud this evening. 

Yes it seems extra loud tonight, l've just taken my Labrador round the garden, he look at me with a surprise look on his face on hearing the foghorn whilst he was watering my late flowering marigolds, little monkey. 

Although I didn't her it recently, I know the Douglas Isle of Man foghorn surely needs tuning, and has done for decades. I realise the sound of any foghorn is intended to penetrate fog but that does not mean it has to be a highly annoying dissonnant wail. 

23 minutes ago, AOR said:

Although I didn't her it recently, I know the Douglas Isle of Man foghorn surely needs tuning, and has done for decades. I realise the sound of any foghorn is intended to penetrate fog but that does not mean it has to be a highly annoying dissonnant wail. 

All foghorns have a unique sound for identification purposes the same goes for lighthouses flashing sequences.

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

All foghorns have a unique sound for identification purposes the same goes for lighthouses flashing sequences.

I'm not sure to what degree that is the case, but whatever, they still need to be maintained, including 'tuning'. 

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I always liked the foghorn, it was oddly comforting. Not heard it for a long time, just like I haven’t smelt the hoppy air when the Falcon brewery was in full operation,  or the smells of lits when the wind was in the wrong direction. 

For sure, when it was properly maintained and you were but a lass.  But in the interim it has become a dissonant moaning mess.

To such an extent, I suggest the wikipedia quote on this: In many cases, modern navigational aids, including GPS, have rendered large, long-range foghorns completely unnecessary, according to the International Association of Lighthouse Authorities.

Wiki

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I always liked the foghorn, it was oddly comforting. Not heard it for a long time, just like I haven’t smelt the hoppy air when the Falcon brewery was in full operation,  or the smells of lits when the wind was in the wrong direction. 

Hearing the whistle of the Peel train meant it would rain; telling visitors the stench of sewage at Port Jack was ozone; soaking policement standing on point duty in the rain; watching the coopers in the yard at the brewery - a simpler time with simpler pleasures.

• Like 2