CURA to assess Island's mobile networks

Andy Onchan

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

"Not available in your country".

Has this with many apps, but the one that really stung was trying to access the Covid vax app.  Had that notification, called 111 and they said download it in B&Q!

Another option is to use a UK sim with data roaming in IOM.

As far as i know it defaults to a UK IP address and the Google play store is happy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

On MR today the Department of Enterprise was sponsoring an advert for MTs new Broadband I cannot think why.

Which is yet another example of our economy being a Ponzi scheme fed with an overpayment of VAT under the current VAT sharing deal.

When Labour get elected in 2024 we are seriously screwed. See the previous time they cut the free VAT money.

The island's economy does not work without the VAT deal and when you look at that deal we are getting, it is a VERY GOOD deal, FOR US.....

It suits a Conservative gov to have us like this.

it's a place to park money from the City for their "donors".

Labour dont see it that way.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I am Unsure why people think telecom can do anything about a restriction within Google’s own systems.

I know for a fact they are regularly trying to get it sorted and have been for a decade.  There is nothing the local telcos can do.  It’s out of their hands.

68D2E1B4-D78A-4280-9DFD-B6D2E0E54079.jpeg

It is not just paid for apps, as I said it even affected the Covid vax app. You would think Google would be receptive and there must be someone Goigle who can take this forward, it is just a case of finding them.

After over 9 years there is no headway?  Does this issue affect Sure as well?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is not just paid for apps, as I said it even affected the Covid vax app. You would think Google would be receptive and there must be someone Goigle who can take this forward, it is just a case of finding them.

usually VPN's or direct downloads of the APK file from various sites will let you install what you want.

11 hours ago, asitis said:

Has anyone tried to access their National Savings accounts with the new two factor authentication malarkey ?

I wanted to use my deposit account, but can't get a text with code to either of my manx mobiles, I have contacted NS & I about the issue.

I have and it’s fine. The Boots app on the other hand…doesn’t work. 

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yeah it affects sure too. There are ways around it, but its still mostly a nuisance. It is a good thing when it comes to kids though, it cuts down on the chances of them costing you money.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah it affects sure too. There are ways around it, but its still mostly a nuisance. It is a good thing when it comes to kids though, it cuts down on the chances of them costing you money.

Aren't Sure part of a bigger mobile service provider? 

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Aren't Sure part of a bigger mobile service provider? 

It was owned by cable and wireless but I think they sold it to Bahrain. Dunno, probably should seeing as i'm their customer. Pretty hard to live a truly moral life these days, your money always ends up in the pockets of bastards somehow.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Which is yet another example of our economy being a Ponzi scheme fed with an overpayment of VAT under the current VAT sharing deal.

When Labour get elected in 2024 we are seriously screwed. See the previous time they cut the free VAT money.

The island's economy does not work without the VAT deal and when you look at that deal we are getting, it is a VERY GOOD deal, FOR US.....

It suits a Conservative gov to have us like this.

it's a place to park money from the City for their "donors".

Labour dont see it that way.

The same Labour who pay rent for their HQ office in London to a company in Jersey ? 

12 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I am Unsure why people think telecom can do anything about a restriction within Google’s own systems.

I know for a fact they are regularly trying to get it sorted and have been for a decade.  There is nothing the local telcos can do.  It’s out of their hands.

68D2E1B4-D78A-4280-9DFD-B6D2E0E54079.jpeg

Most smaller jurisdictions route their traffic through a larger jurisdiction nearby to get around this. 

• Like 1