Barber blocks swimming pool

hissingsid

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

A few years ago there was an attempt to get a Tesco Metro at Callows Yard. Can't say I was a fan of that proposal, parking would obviously have been a challenge, but the main reason it got turned down was licensing. Castletown had 'too many alcohol licences already' apparently. Since then there have been 4 alcohol licences issued in Castletown (3 active), and if the Bushy's thing happens there will be another one. 

Well that was Roy Tilliard so it was obviously going to go nowhere. As you say proof that really the planning conditions are if we like you, you can have what you want. And if we don’t you can’t. Rather like this I’d suspect. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Those questions are, of course, completely irrelevant to the planning decision, which was the building was too big and too close to other buildings.

The alleged utility of the building did not justify riding roughshod over these planning considerations.

As an aside, King Bill's don't let the plebs anywhere near their existing swimming pool, so I don't see that this one would be any different.

Unless it's changed in the last 50 years, the KWC pool is nothing special at all.

7 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Well that was Roy Tilliard so it was obviously going to go nowhere. As you say proof that really the planning conditions are if we like you, you can have what you want. And if we don’t you can’t. Rather like this I’d suspect. 

An awful lot to do with a local supermarket if memory serves me right !

23 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Unless it's changed in the last 50 years, the KWC pool is nothing special at all.

At a guess, this was a cute way for KWC to get a new pool on their doorstep subsidised by the public. I could well imagine some sort of preferencial treatment in the scheduling for KWC pupils, whilst charging prohibitive rates to local organisations and certainly keep the local riff-raff out.

12 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

At a guess, this was a cute way for KWC to get a new pool on their doorstep subsidised by the public. I could well imagine some sort of preferencial treatment in the scheduling for KWC pupils, whilst charging prohibitive rates to local organisations and certainly keep the local riff-raff out.

This despite the fact that there's *no* public money involved?

14 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

This despite the fact that there's *no* public money involved?

Lottery money is “public money”, it comes from tax on sale of tickets. Also the groups using it will no doubt be paying in part from funds provide by the tax payer/sports council. Then it’s to operated by an educational/sports charity, exempt from tax and so subsidised by tax payers. And it won’t be long before the begging bowl is out for running costs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Newson's was recommended for rejection because, and I quote, "the application fails to demonstrate that any meaningful repair or maintenance has been undertaken by the owner since 2016. Any argument for the loss of the building due to its condition must be mindful of this evidence."

So you can't deliberately let a building fall into disrepair and you can't build a 36ft-high building right between a registered building and a housing estate. Whatever is the world coming to.

The former part of your post - the loss of the old warehouse in Ramsey, where hemmings, sorry, boot and co over-ruled the off-island inspector, to allow hemmings to land bank. He had that place for well over a decade, but one of the reasons they allowed him to turn it into a bomb site was that it had been run down so much. They're not even consistent.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m sure they will. I bet Ocean Ford are holding out on the old airport garage site too. That carpark at the back is massive. It would make a great Tescos Local. Which makes this whole situation around this swimming pool look ridiculous. 

The garage is owned by Mylchreest Motors. Ocean Ford rented it off them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Whatever the rights, wrongs and arguments for and against, one thing could be said, that if a 50 metre pool was EVER built, the IOM should by rights be producing gold medal National, European and World Swimming Champions. Swimmers will no doubt be funded by British Swimming, and get lottery funding, and could Manx support, so there will be no excuses for lack of results. The IOM can produce leading world cyclists, primarily using roads etc, so maybe it would be better money spent in looking into a multi purpose velodrome?

Edited by 2112

5 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

I have no doubt at all that KWC in some way would want to suck at the public funding teat in some way so that the rich kids could have better facilities.

No doubt they are also a charity and pay no tax.

• Thanks 1