Local events

Lilly

Went to KWC last weekend for the Christmas craft fair it was absolutely bursting with great local talent it was well planned and crammed full of IOM residents having a wonderful time for all ages.

Yesterday l went to a church fair in Onchan it was marvellous and planned with lots of hard work. The main draw for me was Mr Howard Parkin doing a book signing of his book , Space for Dark Skies with a generous donation going into church funds.

I think is easy to point out the negatives constantly about lots of things on the Island we also have lots of wonderful positives which are free go to supported by generous residents. 

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Went to KWC last weekend for the Christmas craft fair it was absolutely bursting with great local talent it was well planned and crammed full of IOM residents having a wonderful time for all ages.

Yesterday l went to a church fair in Onchan it was marvellous and planned with lots of hard work. The main draw for me was Mr Howard Parkin doing a book signing of his book , Space for Dark Skies with a generous donation going into church funds.

I think is easy to point out the negatives constantly about lots of things on the Island we also have lots of wonderful positives which are free go to supported by generous residents. 

Sometimes I don't think these events are not publicised well enough, especially if you don't do facebook etc. Where is the best place to hear about these sorts of things?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I’m not going to be negative ……… for a change. I agree with your comments. What I would say, and like others have said, it’s not well publicised, it’s not held in the right locations or halls either, and sometimes organisation of these fairs/fayres can be critical (eg is there refreshments - tea/coffee etc, toilet facilities or even something for the little ones?). It’s good if there stallholders selling arts and crafts, bespoke goods, homemade knitted goods and artisan food products but I’ve seen one of two ‘fairs’ and sadly car booters and Facebookers are selling second hand tat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I’m not going to be negative ……… for a change. I agree with your comments. What I would say, and like others have said, it’s not well publicised, it’s not held in the right locations or halls either, and sometimes organisation of these fairs/fayres can be critical (eg is there refreshments - tea/coffee etc, toilet facilities or even something for the little ones?). It’s good if there stallholders selling arts and crafts, bespoke goods, homemade knitted goods and artisan food products but I’ve seen one of two ‘fairs’ and sadly car booters and Facebookers are selling second hand tat. 

It's actually much more difficult to get these things known about than you think.

Social media people don't see it or it doesn't register with them sometimes. I say this having experience of it. There's a stat out there that it takes someone seeing something around 6 times for them even to notice.

The cost printed material etc I'd imagine makes this kind of thing prohibitive. Even then there were posters for the original Metabolizm event in just about every shop window in Douglas and still people said they hadn't heard about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

Sometimes I don't think these events are not publicised well enough, especially if you don't do facebook etc. Where is the best place to hear about these sorts of things?

Yes l agree, l don't do Facebook, however, both events l attended recently were advertised on noticed boards and a large banner. l get your valid point though only saw them whilst using my car and passing the venues.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Yes your comments are fair, l wanted to go to both these fairs and l think the KWC & St Peters certainly had ticked all the boxes regarding your points above. Both were enjoyable. 

40 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It's actually much more difficult to get these things known about than you think.

Social media people don't see it or it doesn't register with them sometimes. I say this having experience of it. There's a stat out there that it takes someone seeing something around 6 times for them even to notice.

The cost printed material etc I'd imagine makes this kind of thing prohibitive. Even then there were posters for the original Metabolizm event in just about every shop window in Douglas and still people said they hadn't heard about it.

I think it is very difficult to get the information out about these wonderful events. I wonder what such busy lifestyle we lead were we miss such information which is actually presented to us. Do we filter most things out?