Racism at The Palace?

wrighty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63810468

83 year old ‘lady in waiting’ resigns for repeatedly asking a black charity head “where are you really from”.

Perhaps it was the way she said it, or the persistence in questioning, but is it really unacceptable to enquire of someone’s origins? Somebody asked me mine today. I answered the question, didn’t just repeat ‘Douglas’.

Perhaps I need to watch what I say, but I often ask colleagues at work where they come from, and as far as I know it’s never led to a racism charge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I’m sure you’d know that if someone says they’re from Hackney to ask whether they live in Bethnal Green or Hoxton rather than press them on the origin of their bloodline. 

At first I thought this is an old lady who got it wrong. But me Mum’s even older but has enough emotional intelligence to accept what someone tells her. And this lady had been in circles that required tact all her life. 

It does rather show up how the aristocracy thinks in terms of lineage and pedigree rather than an individuals personal achievements. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The word "really" would suggest that she'd been asked before and received an answer. You've got to wonder why she didn't accept that answer.

I'm not sure you repeatedly answering "Douglas" is the same thing at all. Are you from Douglas or do you just live in Douglas? When you answered the question did you reply with where you were born and or brought up? What if the questioner had questioned your word? Would you wonder why? Would you have given further details of your parents and grandparents? 

This lady was from a different generation and worked for an institution with a long history and culture of racism, so you could possibly forgive her for asking once. To repeated ask though is not only extremely rude, it's pretty blatant racism if you ask me. She's obviously been allowed to resign so has been treated quite leniently IMHO. She can have no complaints and should have been sacked. 

...or storm in a tea cup.? Old woman starts to lose it?

or.....another chance to highlight an organisation not any people have heard of (good bad publicity) or..... another chance to promote a story aimed at reminding people that the monarchy were are and are all bad people and this will sell newspapers, no matter what the real reasons are.

At a guess how many headlines will revolve around the monarchy as their lead story as there is really not much else happening is there.

16 minutes ago, Apple said:

...or storm in a tea cup.? Old woman starts to lose it?

or.....another chance to highlight an organisation not any people have heard of (good bad publicity) or..... another chance to promote a story aimed at reminding people that the monarchy were are and are all bad people and this will sell newspapers, no matter what the real reasons are.

At a guess how many headlines will revolve around the monarchy as their lead story as there is really not much else happening is there.

pretty much this...

• Like 1

The merest suggestion that a comment may be racist is fraught with all sort of difficulties.

Which Is why I’m hesitating to even make the following observation. But here goes.

Re the furore about the skin colour of horrible Harry and Meghan’s offspring before he was born.

If the family of a white man married to a woman of colour, neither having any Royal connections,  engaged in idle speculation about how black or white the impending offspring of the union would be upon birth, nobody would be bothered. It would be like saying will it have his fathers ears, his mothers nose?etc

Obviously if anyone were to say, for example “I hope it doesn’t come out too black” that would obviously be a different matter and racist beyond any doubt.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Often these public racism rows are a storm in a tea cup. Danny Baker springs to mind, I don't believe there was any racist intent on his part and he was thrown under the bus.

This one is different though, it's obvious there is some racist intent , and regardless of the persons age that is no longer acceptable. Being allowed to resign in the circumstance is incredibly lenient.

23 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Often these public racism rows are a storm in a tea cup. Danny Baker springs to mind, I don't believe there was any racist intent on his part and he was thrown under the bus.

This one is different though, it's obvious there is some racist intent , and regardless of the persons age that is no longer acceptable. Being allowed to resign in the circumstance is incredibly lenient.

I would say it’s merely being pragmatic.

Yes it was incredibly rude and unacceptable to have asked that question but a resignation allows the situation to defuse without the Royal Family being dragged into God knows what sort of situation going on for however long. And all the attendant media circus. 
It’s not an excuse just the realpolitik of the situation.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Presumably the transcript was added after many of the comments in this thread, as it seems to answer the queries raised above.

Here is the full conversation, as recounted by Ms Fulani:

Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We're based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are you from?

Me: I don't know, they didn't leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you're from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, the UK.

SH: No, but what nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: 'My people', lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when...

SH: Oh, I knew we'd get there in the end, you're Caribbean!

Me: No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh so you're from...

I saw a video a while back made an an america girl, about guys hitting on her. They'd ask where she was from and she'd say LA (or wherever) and they'd say 'no, where are you really from' and she'd conclude they were thick and racist, for she was of korean descent but born and raised in the US. 

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

a long and distinguished career following the Queen around the world. A racist ?

The transcript above also points to a considerable degree of self-entitlement.

We know someone like that. He even likes reggae and used to seem like a bit of a hippy. But a lot of what he says sounds like an undercurrent of inherent racism and a deep and obvious sense of aggrieved self-entitlement which he sometimes tries to intellectualise.

Best to just smile.

Edited by genericUserName
  • Like 1