Better off in UK

Moghrey Mie

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

At the risk of bursting an important bubble, prostitutes do not sell love.

`no they are service providers  and if they organise themselves in such a way , they can avoid paying tax ,  but lets be honest  there are quite a few well meaning amateurs ,  who will always come off best 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Horrible :)

Nice spot, spaniel worrier. If we absolutely had to go back to the UK it would be either Cornwall or the other extreme, Northern Scotland. At a pinch, Northumberland. Nowhere else does it for us really. Wouldn't live in a UK city even if they paid me handsomely.

Edited by woolley

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Nice spot, spaniel worrier. If we absolutely had to go back to the UK it would be either Cornwall or the other extreme, Northern Scotland. At a pinch, Northumberland. Nowhere else does it for us really. Wouldn't live in a UK city even if they paid me handsomely.

Orkney looks pretty good. Getting a shedload of UK Government cash too. 

17 minutes ago, woolley said:

Cornwall is great, 'nuff said.

• Like 1

My parents moved back to the UK in their 80s having lived here since childhood. They were considerably better off in the UK, getting all sorts of allowances they hadn't had on the IOM plus much cheaper weekly shopping. I think it depends on your financial situation. They didn't have a lot of money so perhaps had more to gain than someone who has more cash.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, woolley said:

Wouldn't live in a UK city even if they paid me handsomely.

I'm not paying you, but you can call me handsomely. 

19 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Orkney looks pretty good. Getting a shedload of UK Government cash too. 

Yeah hopping hardcore on the renewable bandwagon up there.  On one thread a while ago (probably asking what the fuck Daffers was up to) I posted a video reporting on it.  100% renewable energy realistically, they even have electric ferries.  I also noted that it could have been the IOM if we weren't run by incompetents. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wrighty said:

I’d abolish the tax cap if I were made king of the Island, but I do agree with no IHT and CGT. 

There are no financial advantages to being here unless you are a high earner. 

The tax cap does need to be abolished. Don’t agree with no IHT or CGT but not to slavishly follow UK - set at reasonable rates it would raise revenue for public services that are currently underfunded. I’d set CGT reasonably low for passive gains with some sort of exemptions / lower rate for entrepreneurial gains. Inherited windfalls should be heavily taxed. I don’t buy ‘ it’s been taxed already ‘ argument. Inherited wealth is not deserved by the recipients so tax it. Even at say 30% I’d see no problem with it. 

Your last sentence says it all - should it really be that way? I don’t think it should be. Those who can need to contribute more , otherwise only the wealthy prosper. But if that’s what the electorate want then so be it. Rich man’s crumbs and keep tugging those forelocks. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Wick , you’d really go live in Wick😂

• Haha 1