Banks cancel the countryside

Langweilig

21 minutes ago, Langweilig said:

Firstly, Nigel Farage had his bank account closed. Now, the banks want to "cancel the countryside". Would the Manx banks do the same?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/gun-clubs-accounts-shut-as-banks-cancel-the-countryside/ar-AA1eKXBG?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=00858d1c34824a8b978d67a6118581d7&ei=10

Their blinkered view, will be 'guns are bad'. 

• Like 1

I’m guessing some gentrified journalist who belongs to a gun club has just realised that banks, beginning with the RBS group, are making life difficult for all sorts of clubs and societies! All are affected including sports clubs, youth organisations and in fact anything they can’t charge a business rate to or bleed dry in some other way.

A bank is an inanimate corporate, commercial entity. The idea of it declining to provide a service on the basis that a customer's views go against "its principles" is illogical. So long as the customer is conducting banking business in accordance with regulations and is not breaking the law in any way, there should be no issue. I suppose this attitude grew out of equally risible "mission statements" and the like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of things aren’t breaking any laws but banks won’t service the activity. Nedbank here have just decided that they no longer want gambling companies as customers. “Adult” companies have always struggled to obtain banking facilities.

Funny how the ones complaining and demanding regulators do something are the ones who normally argue there’s too much regulation and companies should be free to make their own commercial decisions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Lots of things aren’t breaking any laws but banks won’t service the activity. Nedbank here have just decided that they no longer want gambling companies as customers. “Adult” companies have always struggled to obtain banking facilities.

Funny how the ones complaining and demanding regulators do something are the ones who normally argue there’s too much regulation and companies should be free to make their own commercial decisions.

Quite interesting that banks should believe the activities of gambling and sex companies are less moral than those of financial institutions down the years. Another subject for a thesis.

On 8/20/2023 at 8:55 PM, Roxanne said:

I’ll rustle one up for you tomorrow. I’d do it tonight but quite honestly I’m exhausted after walking through the streets all day concentrating on keeping my arms folded. 

OK, but make sure it's submitted before close of play.