Ton up Club

There has been much celebration and rejoicing in the media and on social media from the Isle of Man Police, regarding their winter safety campaign.  So far over 100 defect notices issued. 

However, what I am finding somewhat disappointing is the police taking to rejoicing in the number of defect notices they are issuing. Are they trying to beat a notional target? From a personal perspective I keep my vehicles in a safe condition and it adheres to the MOT standards should I take it across to the UK. 

Perhaps it’s time that the MOT is introduced here? The police can still have their winter safety campaign. Maybe the IOM has more than its fair share of scrap/defective vehicles which shouldn’t be on the roads and are only caught out by a random roadside check? 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

Not the M.O.T argument again. As soon as you leave the test garage the mot becomes mute as it was fine twenty minutes ago. The defects being flagged are lights and tyres, the tyres are only picked up because of a failed lamp which can happen in the blink of an eye. The lamp failure is more than likely caused by hitting one of the numerous pot holes that frequent manx roads, fix the holes save the lamps and stop the police crowing about an easy ticket. How did all investigations into that spate of burglaries go, yeh deafening silence there.  😁   

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There has been much celebration and rejoicing in the media and on social media from the Isle of Man Police, regarding their winter safety campaign.  So far over 100 defect notices issued. 

However, what I am finding somewhat disappointing is the police taking to rejoicing in the number of defect notices they are issuing. Are they trying to beat a notional target? From a personal perspective I keep my vehicles in a safe condition and it adheres to the MOT standards should I take it across to the UK. 

Perhaps it’s time that the MOT is introduced here? The police can still have their winter safety campaign. Maybe the IOM has more than its fair share of scrap/defective vehicles which shouldn’t be on the roads and are only caught out by a random roadside check? 

99 of the defect notices will probably be lights ,  that's how they spot you,

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Not the M.O.T argument again. As soon as you leave the test garage the mot becomes mute as it was fine twenty minutes ago. The defects being flagged are lights and tyres, the tyres are only picked up because of a failed lamp which can happen in the blink of an eye. The lamp failure is more than likely caused by hitting one of the numerous pot holes that frequent manx roads, fix the holes save the lamps and stop the police crowing about an easy ticket. How did all investigations into that spate of burglaries go, yeh deafening silence there.  😁   

you understand a defect notice isn't a ticket yeah?

• Like 2

the police should regularly walk around the carparks  in daylight  checking for defective vehicles   or better still bring back the traffic police section  who can be equiped to deal with vehicle related matters and understand construction and use regulations 

I see the police  have been trying to control the nutters racing on the battery pier again  and those who have mapped their vehicles  to cause loud bangs every time they change gear the noise is  deafening  especially in the early hours of the morning , 

speed is surly responsible for a significant number of accidents on the `islands roads  and the police should be more proactive  in  calming down the boy racers   

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well if they’re stopping unroadworthy cars it should be celebrated along with the idiots having cars seized for no insurance, problem with OP he hates anything to do with government, police etc

Wrong again, I don’t hate the police. I was merely commenting on this initiative, which is beginning to look like a competition, and raised the idea of ‘MOTs’ as a way of raising standards and also revenue. There would always be various campaigns throughout the year focusing on vehicle road worthiness, and driving standards.

If the police and the test centre have their operatives out in the evening, there is always a possibility of someone with a defective vehicle avoiding the area, so avoiding a potential defect notice.

13 minutes ago, tuono said:

Surely all they’re doing is highlighting the fact that we should all be checking our lights etc, no issue with what they’ve out out in respect of this.

I haven’t and if a bulb goes it gets replaced, and fresh tyres where appropriate etc. My argument has been the amount of crowing. If they are trumpeting success, which can be perceived as good for maintaining standards, then perhaps there is an underlying issue regarding vehicle roadworthiness which needs addressing, rather than relying on winter and TT campaigns etc. 

41 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well if they’re stopping unroadworthy cars it should be celebrated along with the idiots having cars seized for no insurance, problem with OP he hates anything to do with government, police etc

What's the fine for no tax and insurance? A few hundred quid. Get away with it for 6 months and you're quids inn. The fine needs to be x5 and 12 months ban.

Eg (random website, but seems about right to make my point):

image.png.cf317a6f8ffcfccb520bd3085a325c6a.png

39 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

99% of those defect notices will be brake lights, the one thing you don’t really notice when you’re driving. 

Not being pedantic, but I bet the actual figure was nearer 1%

It may hopefully remind people (without prosecution), that in the absence of a compulsory MOT they should take a look at their vehicle. I parked next to a car last week, the front tyre had no suggestion of tread at all on the outer half of the tyre, it was so obvious that surely they should notice. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Wrong again, I don’t hate the police. I was merely commenting on this initiative, which is beginning to look like a competition, and raised the idea of ‘MOTs’ as a way of raising standards and also revenue. There would always be various campaigns throughout the year focusing on vehicle road worthiness, and driving standards.

If the police and the test centre have their operatives out in the evening, there is always a possibility of someone with a defective vehicle avoiding the area, so avoiding a potential defect notice.

Its a well know thing. If you have a dodgy car all you have to do is avoid Bradden Bridge and Glencrutchery Road

• Haha 2