st Joseph to be replaced

Manxman1234

25 minutes ago, Banker said:

They lease it from Catholic Church apparently but lots of new Christian’s seem to be up in arms over plans !, pity they never went or go to church 

It appears nowadays that the Living Hoppers seem to be the only people that now go to church regularly. 

39 minutes ago, Banker said:

They lease it from Catholic Church apparently but lots of new Christian’s seem to be up in arms over plans !, pity they never went or go to church 

A lot of avarice as well. At the end of the day, it’s down to individual choice as to religion and especially if new individuals decide to join a ‘church’. I’m not one of these people who wish to control religion, which some would quite happily do. The issue of some religious groups raising monies have been a bone of contention, but as long as they aren’t using illegal fundraising methods, they keep audited accounts and committing any illegal activity, then I have no real issue with. 

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

If this wasn't in the news and the statue just replaced you wonder how many people would even notice 

Unless busybodies complain and demand the building is listed - as a monument of historic importance to the island. 

It's not inaccurate to call it a cult but I think people use the term in a way that could make Anglican Church,  Catholic or 'progressive' Christianity beliefs and practices seem ok in comparison.

It's really all the same stupid thinking (or lack of it) but packaged differently and has parts of it that are culturally foreign.  But it's no wonder that people are sold the snakeoil when we treat Christianity as if it is ok.  For instance, a lot of people still think that prayers should happen at the start of Tynwald sessions.  This is mainly said because it is tradition but when the beliefs are superstitions, we are far from being intelligent when we entertain those superstitions as deserving a respect. 

I do think Living Hope more dangerous.  The delusion they try to create of Jesus being alive and something like a friend, the hierarchical position of the pastor or other person who can actually heal through the power of Jesus and some of their evangelical practices are worrying.  Yes, the Catholic Church is a bunch of lazy do-nothings that has leeched off people, kept them stupid and moved paedophiles around to escape too much attention but Catholicism isn't really getting its hands on people here. 

There is a lot more to it than St Joseph’s statue, parking in Willaston is a nightmare causing problems for residents,  bus drivers and other large vehicles which have to negotiate their way through the estate.     I go through on the bus in the day time and it is a nightmare, goodness knows what it is like at night or at weekends when people are not at work with their cars parked elsewhere.   On Sundays when the Living in Hope lot attend church it is insane also if they are using the church during the week.    When it was a Catholic Church most of the congregation lived on the estate but now  this lot come from far and wide and parking is a big problem.   I am really surprised the Catholic Church are going along with the removal of a little statue which has been there from when the Churchbwas built and still means a lot to people who were married there or there loved ones funerals there.

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

There is a lot more to it than St Joseph’s statue, parking in Willaston is a nightmare causing problems for residents,  bus drivers and other large vehicles which have to negotiate their way through the estate.     I go through on the bus in the day time and it is a nightmare, goodness knows what it is like at night or at weekends when people are not at work with their cars parked elsewhere.   On Sundays when the Living in Hope lot attend church it is insane also if they are using the church during the week.    When it was a Catholic Church most of the congregation lived on the estate but now  this lot come from far and wide and parking is a big problem.   I am really surprised the Catholic Church are going along with the removal of a little statue which has been there from when the Church was built and still means a lot to people who were married there or there loved ones funerals there.