R Stands For Racer!

Yes it is a good thread, but what we are forgetting is the human misery behind this. The thread started off with a post from someone who knew a family who had lost a child. I know someone, some time ago, whose child had caused the death of another child. through driving too hard and beyond their capabilties. It ain't nice from either side.

Perhaps the way forward is to reiterate that the Island roads cannot take speed! There are very few roads that you can overtake safely and if we really believe that an all Island speed limit is not the way to go, perhaps preaching safety before speed would help the cause!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is a good thread, but what we are forgetting is the human misery behind this. 

I disagree - most people are replying with ideas and reasoning that may help reduce this kind of thing.

There are very few roads that you can overtake safely

Sorry but that's not at all true.

Most of the roads are perfectly safe to overtake on except obvious places like blind bends/concealed entrances/single track roads/urban areas.

The majority of the main roads are fine for overtaking on WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO. Ie as long as the road ahead is clear on the opposite side, as long as there is plenty of space to pull back in after overtaking, as long as the sun isn't in your eyes etc etc.

The roads themselves have plenty of space & visibility in general for overtaking to be safe.

and if we really believe that an all Island speed limit is not the way to go, perhaps preaching safety before speed would help the cause!

I'm 100% with you there! :)

Certainly accidents are not limited to the young, especially given the two crashes that were on the moutain road within a mile of each other....young lad rolled his golf at windy corner (very odd accident) and an old couple stuck theirs in the ditch just above Kates Cottage!!

Also slightly off topic but does anyone know why the "death" spots on the mountain have been marked with luminous pink paint?

Check out the insurance premiums for young drivers and then check out the statistics which inform those premiums.

I suggest you check out when most people pass their driving test. The only reason age is a factor is that under 25 is when the majority of drivers pass their test. Inexperience is a factor, not age.

Regarding lists of Insurance Groups, The Association of British Insurers has a complete list of all cars with insurance groups.

The download can be found here but the only viewable way I can find is to open it in Excel. The Group Number seems to be at the end of each vehicle line.

Anybody with some technical skills who may be able to separate these columns to make them a bit more readable?

Three types of downloads are available for users.

* CODE44.EXE - This is a Compressed Executable file of the make and model code used widely in the insurance industry (also known as Code 44)

* code44.mdb - This is an Access file of the make and model code database (Code 44 database)

* code44update.dat - This is a plain text file of the last updated list of Vehicles with their make and model codes.

* GROUP.DAT - This is a plain text file of the list of cars with their group ratings.

* GROUP.EXE - This is a Compressed Executable file of the above plain text file.

* GroupUpdate.dat - This is a plain text file of the last updated list of Vehicles with their group ratings.

To download a file, simply click on the filename you wish to download. A prompt will then appear on the screen allowing you to either open the download or save the file. Select Save this file on disk and press OK and save the file on the local machine.

Stav.

Check out the insurance premiums for young drivers and then check out the statistics which inform those premiums.

I suggest you check out when most people pass their driving test. The only reason age is a factor is that under 25 is when the majority of drivers pass their test. Inexperience is a factor, not age.

Thank you Ean, i was just about to point that out myself!

To an extent you have a point but I'm fairly sure that a lot also has to do with age/maturity of younger drivers and - I hate to admit it but it's true so I have to - in particular younger males.

It's a fact that a lot of young lads (not all obviously) want to drive fast and whilst they are inexperienced after just passing their test, they are also more likely to drive immaturely by going fast where/when they shouldn't.

I still like to go fast sometimes but way less than I used to when I was in my early 20s etc and I think that goes for a lot of drivers that the older you get, the more you realise you should be more careful about going fast because of the risks.

Sorry Ean but, just for fun, I asked for two insurance quotes today .. one for a 18 year old qualified driver and one for a 45 year old learner driver. I said the car was a standard 1.4 citroen and guess what ...

I couldnt get a fully comprehensive quote for the 18 year old .. third party only ..and I had no problem getting a quote for fully comprehensive insurance for the 45 year old ... also the 45 year old would pay less than half the 18 year old !

Admittedly I didnt shop around for better terms but I claim "proof of concept" on the basis of one result :lol:

Doesnt that tell you something ?

That insurance companies are very ageist? Tell me something new!

That the fact people who have just passed are usually in the lower age brackets and thus premiums for drivers at that age are much higher?

That you went to an insurance company that doesn't really want any business...unable to do fully comp for an 18 year old on a 1.4 citroen? Was it a saxo, in which case i'd understand :P

That insurance quotes for learner drivers are normally a lot less than you would pay for a newly qualified driver?

That you need to get out more ;):D

That insurance companies are very ageist? Tell me something new!

That the fact people who have just passed are usually in the lower age brackets and thus premiums for drivers at that age are much higher?

That you went to an insurance company that doesn't really want any business...unable to do fully comp for an 18 year old on a 1.4 citroen? Was it a saxo, in which case i'd understand :P

That insurance quotes for learner drivers are normally a lot less than you would pay for a newly qualified driver?

That you need to get out more  ;)  :D

Ean ... Im trying to tell you that young drivers are statistically more likely to make an insurance claim. I have offered an example to support the argument that age is a factor ... you had previously dismissed this as unlikely.

As to getting out more ..can I take it you are offering to babysit ?

I'm not ageist, but I agree with the comments on young drivers being a problem to themselves and others. The stats prove it, but so also does common sense.

I passed my test shortly after my 17th birthday. That same evening I spun the car (my Mum's Fiat 500!) on a greasy and busy main road at Reddish Bridge, near Stockport. Luckily I didn't hit anyone or anything (I was only doing around 40 and scrubbed off speed in the spin) so it became invaluable experience and made me a better driver.

If a truck had been coming the other way, I would have been a statistic. We can educate and train as much as we want to, but young blokes - in MOST things they do - are genetically programmed to push limits and find out first hand how far they can go with things. It will always be thus. Some (like me) will be lucky and learn from it, others will just be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As a mature driver who still enjoys driving fast, I allow for the fact that they may be the other side of the next blind bend heading my way. If more people concentrated on defensive driving, and not looking at the scenery/yelling at the kids/taking phone calls/tuning the radio etc, the accident rate would drop considerably.

I would agree with the comments on the website regarding young drivers - even though it is not always the boy racers nowadays - there are the girl racers as well !!

The 50 mph restriction on R plates is a good idea if it was being enforced - and as stated previously by other members I have yet to see a young person fined for going over this limit.

However, even though there are a lot of accidents caused by younger drivers, lets not forget the numerous (and increasing) number of people charged with drink driving - and the majority of these appear to be in their 30s/40s. Add in the people who drive without a licence and insurance - surely a good plan would be to take their car from them until they produce a licence/valid insurance etc.. (Getting off topic...sorry)

I am not an advocate of the all-island speed limit either as i don't believe this will solve the problems - some people are simply bad drivers and can cause accidents whatever the speed.

A better plan may be to make the advanced driving course readily available and free or government subsidised - then the people that pass will have the benefits of lower insurance premiums and possibly a reduction in car tax (that could be a tempting carrot!!) - Even though the gov may not like to reduce the income from car tax.

Young people are always inexperienced its a fact of life, they will want to go fast for the thrill and to impress their mates etc - just check out the bottleneck 'boy racer bay' car park. Unless prosecutions are made and examples made the situation is unlikely to improve.

Education and not legislation is the key.

Restrict engine sizes to 1,000 cc or lower - or make road tax proportional to the engine size ^ 3. Who needs a fast car on the Island anyway?

Ban (aging male) drivers of big old Jags B) !

Under 48 year-olds stay off the road between 11 AM and whenever I get back from the pub!

Edited by GD4ELI

Restrict engine sizes to 1,000 cc or lower

No matter what engine size anybody has, Cars will always be made lighter and therefore will be faster.

Inexperience is a problem, But there are also more experienced drivers who think they know it all and take more risks by doing this.

I think R plates are a great idea and if the no over 50 mph law was enforced more i think most of the people with R plates would get the idea that if when they broke the over 50 limit they would get 3 points on there licience and so there insurance would hardly be affordable so people would soon get the message of no over 50 mph! B)