Looney Rooney...

Rooneys obviously a 'aggressive' type of player, he's always going to be on or around the edge as it were.

Many would like him to keep these characteristics instead of rolling around on the floor after a feather like tackle.

His problem appears to be that once he does loose his temper, his game completly falls apart.

Opposition players are begining to recognise this and act accordingly.

By far, and for so many of todays footballers, its thier attitude towards the ref.

The respect shown by rugby players towards the ref. is one that needs to be instilled in the round ball game.

The sin bin would be a much better option than the red card, gives players time to 'cool off' and lessen any constroversy.

The red card should be used exclusively for abuse of the ref. and seriousfoul play.

Totesport.com is offering bets on how many red cards the little lad will receive this year:

Rooney Specials - Season Sending Offs:

No Red Cards 8/15

One Red Card 13/8

Two Or More 10/1

I can see another Premiership betting scandal on the horizon: "Ok men, go out there and get him sent off - I've got 2k on him at 10/1!" :)

The sin bin would be a much better option than the red card, gives players time to 'cool off' and lessen any constroversy.

The red card should be used exclusively for abuse of the ref. and seriousfoul play.

Interesting point, but I suppose it hinges on the definition of serious foul play. Would diving in the area or feigning contact to win a free kick to send a player off be classed as serious foul play?

If players only had to worry about the threat of a sin bin for the above actions, I am sure if a team was losing or drawing with 10 mins to go, members of the team could dive/cheat in the hope of gaining a free kick or penalty to gain an unfair advantage and possibly get a better result from the match

I know to a degree that happens now, but I think it would be more common with a sin bin in place and would spoil the game of football further.

What about an off field referee (like a third umpire in cricket) who could communicate to the ref on the field and advise the ref of things that one person alone may have missed seeing, perhaps even things shown on tv replays?

:angry:

So Manchester United's mentally challenged example of how not to behave on the pitch struck again last night, and what a strike it was..

It would actually be funny if it wouldn't be so sad how he behaves, and the pure thought that people like him are admired by thousands of young fans all over the country (and the world) is actually quite worrying..

No wonder youngsters these days are using swear words that would make a room full of hookers blush and think nothing about it - in the end, they're only imitating their "Idol".

I can already imagine Wenger and Mourinho in the dressing room, changing their pre-game speech: "Ok guys, just get that little Scouser to boil and once he's been sent off, hammer them!"

I truly believe he should persue a sport that's more suitable for him: 1000m run-from-the-cops, fence-hopping (while running from the cops, with carrying a dvd player and telly as added handicap) or maybe connect-the-dots...

But playing football and receiving an exorbitant salary while displaying his utter perfection in behaving like a retard in front of thousands of viewers is definitely the wrong choice...

/rant (and sorry to any ManU fans)

Suddenly the world is full of cricket fans, how very sad and predictable...

Predictable for sure, but why sad? Let a country be happy about a great sporting achievement!

I know: "it's always the same - England wins something and celebrates like mad, then they win nothing for ages until the cycle continues" - that kinda thing, isn't it?

I can't see anything wrong with that, as it puts different sports into the spotlight for a while and get's people interested in them - a teenager taking up a sport is potentially one yob less on the streets....

Taking that sport in general seems to be above religion in the UK, the only thing that surprises me is, that thousands of men across the country were prepared to swear in front of a priest that they would stick with their wife "in good and in bad times", but when it comes to sport - one bad result and it's a divorce...

Come on folks, either you follow a sport or you don't - if you really follow it, then you'll get through the bad times and anticipate the victories - that's what makes them even sweeter...(5:1 anyone? Not that it took you 40 years :rolleyes: )

So get out the England flags for the World Cup in Germany next year! Not that I think you're gonna win it - I might be living here for 5 years now, but I haven't gone mad...

P.S.: misslippers: You wouldn't happen to be a Rooney fan? Sorry: I still think know that he's a overpaid retard...

I come from a generation for whom winter meant football (or Rugby or hockey), while summer meant Cricket (or Tennis or Golf). I still feel some sense of resentment at the way other sports - especially football - have intruded on the time that was reserved for Cricket because, much as I enjoy following the others, I have always found cricket to be the most enjoyable of all.

My concern now is that the large number of yobs who follow (and, in the case of Rooney, play) football, will be introducing booze-fuelled bad behaviour into the game.

I come from a generation for whom winter meant football (or Rugby or hockey), while summer meant Cricket (or Tennis or Golf). I still feel some sense of resentment at the way other sports - especially football - have intruded on the time that was reserved for Cricket because, much as I enjoy following the others, I have always found cricket to be the most enjoyable of all.

Same for me, though I played both, often overlapping for weeks. However, MY cricket season started on March 11th each year, and I would start practicing from that day on. Still do.

I want someone on the other end of the slip cradle I keep dream of buying. Any takers?

So guess who won the FIFPro Young Player of the Year Award?

What a wonderful example to young people everywhere!

From today's News of the Weird:

ROONEY AWARDS SHAM!

WAYNE ROONEY'S FIFPro award as World Young Player of the Year is today exposed as a total sham.

The Manchester United and England hero was "honoured" at a glittering gala in London on Monday.

And he accepted the trophy believing it was a tribute from 40,000 soccer stars around the world.

He told a star-studded audience: "I would like to thank all the players who voted for me. It is a great honour to be spotted by your fellow professionals."

But today we reveal Rooney was cherry-picked for the award by just a handful of FIFPro's top brass.

Stars around the world have reacted with shock and surprise since the awards were announced.

Senior players at Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and Portsmouth have all told the News of the World they never saw ballot papers.

Arsenal's Freddie Ljungberg revealed: "I was never asked to vote for these awards and that goes for everyone else I've spoken to."

And it is the same story in Europe with clubs like Ajax and Feyenoord in Holland and Hamburg in Germany complaining they knew nothing.

Eyebrows were raised when Rooney and Old Trafford team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo BOTH picked up Young Player of the Year awards. Ronaldo's award was fanfared as a vote by soccer fans made via mobile phone text messages.

But FIFPro have so far failed to reveal how many texts they received from supporters.

Other critics have questioned how the World XI did not feature Thierry Henry and Steven Gerrard.

But at least they now know why — it was all a complete cock-up and FIFPro admit as much.

General Secretary Theo van Seggelen confessed just over 20,000 votes had been received meaning almost half of the organisation's members had not voted.

And he admitted Rooney's award was not the result of a poll of players.

He said: "We had a technical committee including lots of ex-top players and they picked their best 12 young players under the age of 21.

"And Rooney was declared the winner out of those 12."

Van Seggelen added: "I agree it is all a bit confusing. Next year we will have to do something different."

Rooney and "World Young Player of the Year", my ar.. (full article on NotW.co.uk