Jeremy Clarkson

Because it's his land?

So one man is worth more than dozens of others? So what if it's his land. If other people have more use for the land we should let them be.

Even if I thought he was in the right I wouldn't say so because I think he's a tosser! His comments in the past about things from women to motorcycles should have ended his career long ago.

Surely the fact that he is allowing somebody to farm sheep on the land means he is making much better use of it than a few people who want to walk on it occasionally. I mean this island has such a shortage of places to go for a walk doesn't it...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's his land?

So one man is worth more than dozens of others?

Yes, when it's his property.

So what if it's his land. If other people have more use for the land we should let them be.

Do you really believe that? That's just great if so, then all the people wanting to walk their dogs around Langness can use your garden and indeed your home to do so instead!

Even if I thought he was in the right I wouldn't say so because I think he's a tosser! His comments in the past about things from women to motorcycles should have ended his career long ago.

So what you're saying is that you'd happily back something that you know and accept is wrong over a matter of personalities? That hardly gives you the moral high ground over Clarkson, or make you that much better. Yes, he's a tit with views that rarely rise in nature above a crude or juvenile attempt to provoke or genuine bigotry, but that just makes this indignation over an imagined right of way all the more petty.

Because it's his land?

So one man is worth more than dozens of others? So what if it's his land. If other people have more use for the land we should let them be.

Say what you see:

CATCHPHRASE.gif

I keep hearing people talking about 'dozens' of people. I know some divers who have asked and been given permission (and a key) to access Dreswick so they aren't on the list of disgruntled users. In fact this is better than the previous owners. Are there really so many Langness walkers upset by the changes who don't understand what Mr Clarkson has done and why or is this a storm in a teacup created by lack of news by the local media?

'Its a celebrity, shine the spotlight on him, it might increase ratings'

Edited by Stopover
... or is this a storm in a teacup created by lack of news by the local media?

'Its a celebrity, shine the spotlight on him, it might increase ratings'

Point of order...the local media reports the stories. That's the job, and you'd rightly complain if we didn't do it. Or post conspiracy theories that we'd been 'got at' by 'people in high places'.

The fact that this story involves a celebrity probably makes it more interesting, but we'd be reporting it if Joe Scrote owned the lighthouse.

PS: Just to increase ratings of course - I have a live interview with PROWL on Mandate later this morning...

Quite right, Stu.

And Clarkson chose - of his own free will - to write to the Examiner about it. He came across very well in it.

Here's a man who loves the island. He promotes it on Top Gear (when health and safety lets him). He did the fantastic programme about his father-in-law, the first Manxman to get a VC.

His wife is Manx. He has genuine ties to the island. He's much more than a fairweather tax haven-er like Nigel Mansell.

And yet the Manx crabs still do everything they can to alienate him.

If people walked on a slightly different path, there's no problem.

I had a similar problem to Jeremys when i lived in Christian road, despite paying £288.66 per month rent people still had the cheek to come in through the front entrance of the flats, and go out the back past my ground floor executive apartment, as a short cut....had problem with me bin as well, anyone used to dump their rubbish in it.

What is it with people?

PROWL i ask you what a load of shite, its not as if there arn't other pleasant places to walk.

Its a bit sad, when a family comes over with ties to the Island, looking to make a home, take advantage of the benefits of the island and you get a bunch of prats, forming a pressure group...

Thery'e as bad as those fucking pensioners who were protesting with potties on their heads, becuase the local toilets were closing.....have they nothing better to do? like walking aimlessly around B+Q choosing disturbing wallpaper.

Quite right, Stu.

And Clarkson chose - of his own free will - to write to the Examiner about it. He came across very well in it.

Here's a man who loves the island. He promotes it on Top Gear (when health and safety lets him). He did the fantastic programme about his father-in-law, the first Manxman to get a VC.

His wife is Manx. He has genuine ties to the island. He's much more than a fairweather tax haven-er like Nigel Mansell.

And yet the Manx crabs still do everything they can to alienate him.

If people walked on a slightly different path, there's no problem.

To be honest half of the PROWL lot probably have less manx ties than him, they've just got nothing better to do since 'Twice Nightly Whitely' popped his clogs.

Funny how Dick Hodge who was the spokesperson on Manx Radio for PROWL is also the Chairman and Secretary/Treasurer of a vintage motorcycle club.

http://www.banbury-run.co.uk/Contact%20Us.htm

Maybe it's a bit of a grudge from past JC's comments on motorcyclists?

Im off to borrow someones dog to shit in his garden.....

Er, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how Public Rights of Way are generally established?

If it wasn't for people making their voices heard we wouldn't have half as many Public Rights of Way as it is now.

If people have been walking there for over 50 years with no problem, then there is a good case to establish a right of way if Clarkson is trying to stop it.

The rubbish about dogs is just an excuse. He's entitled to try to stop people, it's his land. But the walkers also have rights if they've been using the land, so are also entitled to try to establish these rights, which is what they are doing.

Personally, I'm always on the side of the ramblers not the rich landowner, but then I enjoy a walk in the country myself, and I'm aware that these rights to ramble are only there because someone, somewhere, once stood up for that right.

Perhaps some of you should think about that next time you're walking on a right of way through a field with magnificent views that would be available to no-one [bar the landowner] if someone hadn't fought for that right.

Edited by Alex