How Do You Do That?

Gladys

I work with someone who has the most awful personal hygiene problems. Its got beyond a joke now, it is suffocating! It is not just BO (i.e. underarms) but the whole shebang! So, shall I tell him, or just keep on putting up with it? Or, as someone suggested, write him a very nicely worded, but anonymous letter?

It's an awful topic, but, Christ, its an awful smell.

Any helpful hints welcomed.

I had the same problem a few years ago with a guy who didn't change his clothes for a month. Bear in mind this was a manual labour job so we were going home dirty and sweaty every day.

I ended up just speaking to the boss and asking him to deal with it. Make your supervisor or team leader or whatever earn their money and sort it out, after assuring you of your confidentiality.

If it's a small place and it's going to be obvious it was you, you'll just have to deal with it yourself. Tell them outright that they stink and that they need to start showering more. Don't try and pussyfoot around them for the sake of their feelings, just tell them and humiliate them into doing something about it.

I used to work with someone like that. He had no self respect (and not much for others) and you had to hold you breath whenever he was around. It was a combination of stale sweat and urine. Big Liverpool fan, he was.

People refused to sit near him, and complained to the personnel manager, so she had to do her best to sort it out. He ended up sitting in a corner on his own. He knew why, and it got mentioned to him on nights out after a few beers, but he never sorted himself out.

Thanks Ans, but he has been told TWICE about the personal hygiene problems. His last riposte was it wasn't his fault but the fault of the employer for not providing showers!

It really is not nice, and I think I am going to end up being really insensitive! Like, fucking wash you bastard!

PS, its not underarm, but everything else! Dirty trousers, feet, everything!

I used to work with someone like that. He had no self respect (and not much for others) and you had to hold you breath whenever he was around. It was a combination of stale sweat and urine. Big Liverpool fan, he was.

People refused to sit near him, and complained to the personnel manager, so she had to do her best to sort it out. He ended up sitting in a corner on his own. He knew why, and it got mentioned to him on nights out after a few beers, but he never sorted himself out.

I just cannot understand it! If I was told I had a personal hygiene problem, I would be truly mortified and would probably go and hide myself in the foothills of Afghanistan. Then, after a deep cleansing routine, would be back to face the world! I think I am winding myself up to a full and frank discussion!

Thanks Ans, but he has been told TWICE about the personal hygiene problems. His last riposte was it wasn't his fault but the fault of the employer for not providing showers!

It really is not nice, and I think I am going to end up being really insensitive! Like, fucking wash you bastard!

PS, its not underarm, but everything else! Dirty trousers, feet, everything!

Takes me back a bit to my days as a Submariner. We didnt have any water to wash with but managed to stay slightly less smelly by means of a Submariners bath (lashings of talcum powder). Typical patrol was a month so you cam imagine there was a rush for showers back at base!

Now presuming your colleague doesnt have to contend with circumstances such as those above I should do what Ans suggested. First complain to the appropriate line manager. Embellish the complaint by saying it is affecting your productivity. If you get no joy then just tell the dirty sod he is making you feel ill.

Does the guy change clothes regularly? I work with a guy and the problem with him is he wears the same clothes at least a couple of days in a row.

Sweat doesnt smell.........its only when its stale it smells.

If he knows he is that bad he should go to the docs. A quick operation can solve the problem.

If you don't want to actually say anything to him, get his attention by standing right in front of him, face to face. Then follow these four simple steps (in numerical order):

1 - Point at your eye

2 - Point at your temple

3 - Point at smelly man

4 - Hold nose between thumb and finger, use other hand to simulate wafting the smell away, and pull face to show disgust

If he doesn't understand what you mean, he can't have gone to primary school. This lack of social interaction in his formative years may explain his disregard for personal hygiene.

Archived