[BBC News] Gold medallist supports velodrome

Newsbot

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Commonwealth Games gold medallist Mark Cavendish, who comes from Laxey, says a velodrome would help boost the standard of cycling on the island."

Whee! Fetch the chequebook, no longer will I have to pretend I'm French to save my embarassment whenever cycling is mentioned.

I propose we spend next year's budget on:

1. Establishing a gurning academy to boost the standard of gurning on the Island;

2. Teaching every child to play the washboard so as to further the Island's reputation on the skiffle music scene;

3. Building the world's only sports venue that's dedicated to the egg and spoon and wheelbarrow races, so we kick ass at every single primary school sports day ever;

4. Clogs made of solid gold!;

5. A velodrome,

in that order.

3. Building the world's only sports venue that's dedicated to the egg and spoon and wheelbarrow races, so we kick ass at every single primary school sports day ever;

National inter-schools championships?

1. Establishing a gurning academy to boost the standard of gurning on the Island;

2. Teaching every child to play the washboard so as to further the Island's reputation on the skiffle music scene;

5. A velodrome,

in that order.

Are either of you World Champions in either of those events??

If not STF then...

;-)

5. A velodrome,

in that order.

If not STF then...

;-)

In tonight's breaking news - Stuart T reminds everyone that they're not allowed an opinion about anything unless they are a World Champion in that particular field.

Cheer Stupot.

If not STF then...

;-)

So, by that logic, a world champion egg and spoon racer would have a legitimate case if he or she campaigned for money to be invested in dedicated egg and spoon facilities? I'm sold! Bring me this individual so we can get this campaign on its feet!

This special dispensation you mention, are you sure that's not merely a polite way of saying people "make allowances" because you're, like, "special"?

P.S. It's "STFU". Also, Solid gold clogs aren't really an event, but damn they could come close to qualifying as one.

I think its a great idea.

Manx Sport Aid should be rightly applauded for much of what they do. For so many Manxmen to succeed on a global scale as they do is no mean feat.

Onchan Park Stadium started life as a Velodrome. It should be allowed to revert back to its original purpose.

The Nivision Stadium gets better use with stock cars and Karts, not sure about you but how many people would go there to see cyclists, surely there are more motorsport fans on the island than pedalsport fans.

Not knocking Mark Cavendish but it's all hype on the back of his achievements.

Why don't they hollow down the central pitch within the running track at the NSC and put it there, or alter the bowl?

Archived