Martin Clunes Explores The Isle Of Man

Minxie

New series starts this Sunday on BBC1, and the Isle of Man is due to feature in the second episode.

IOM Govt Web site info

Martin Clunes Explores The Isle of Man In New TV Series Islands of Britain 29 April 2009

Islands of Britain, featuring the Isle of Man, and assisted by the Department of Tourism and Leisure, will be broadcast on Sunday 10th May at 9.00pm. The Isle of Man is included in the second of three episodes of Islands of Britain, presented by the popular television personality Martin Clunes.

Episode two includes a visit to the Chief Minister of the Isle of Man, Hon Tony Brown MHK, who works in his hardware shop in Castletown and later he takes Martin Clunes on a tour of Tynwald, the world’s oldest continuous parliament, where they raise the Island’s flag.

Martin then encounters a couple of the unusual creatures inhabiting the Island - the four horned Loaghtan sheep and some tailless Manx cats at the Mann Cat sanctuary. Before leaving, he chats with Dessie Robinson, who spent two years alone on the Calf of Man as the Islet’s warden.

Hon Martyn Quayle MHK, Minister for Tourism and Leisure said:

‘It is an honour that Islands of Britain chose to feature the Isle of Man in one of their episodes and it is certainly a boost for tourism. We were delighted to welcome presenter Martin Clunes and the crew and I hope it will encourage people to visit us and explore the abundant natural beauty of our Island and all it has to offer.’

In three 60 minute programmes, produced and directed by Jon Stephens and broadcast on ITV1, Martin Clunes sets out to explore hidden Britain. He journeys around some of the most beautiful, remote and wonderful Islands around our coasts, meeting the Islanders and learning what it means to wake up each morning surrounded by water. Programme one is entitled Islands of the Far North, programme two looks at Islands of the Wild West, including the Isle of Man, and programme three includes Islands of the Sunny South. Definitely a series not to be missed!

Episode two includes a visit to the Chief Minister of the Isle of Man, Hon Tony Brown MHK, who works in his hardware shop in Castletown and later he takes Martin Clunes on a tour of Tynwald, the world's oldest continuous parliament, where they raise the Island's flag.

/cringes behind the couch

Will he visit Gordon Brown who works in his S&M shop in Soho? I think not.

Episode two includes a visit to the Chief Minister of the Isle of Man, Hon Tony Brown MHK, who works in his hardware shop in Castletown and later he takes Martin Clunes on a tour of Tynwald, the world’s oldest continuous parliament, where they raise the Island’s flag.

...which no doubt said Clunes: 'inspired me to do a remake of Reggie Perrin'. :rolleyes:

The IOM doesn't come out too well in the article in this week's Radio Times. Clunes' assessment was that the locals were too vocal about being a separate tax jurisdiction and not having to put money in Gordon Brown's pocket!

He did think it very beautiful, though.

The IOM doesn't come out too well in the article in this week's Radio Times. Clunes' assessment was that the locals were too vocal about being a separate tax jurisdiction and not having to put money in Gordon Brown's pocket!

He did think it very beautiful, though.

He did it with style, he was clear that it was the place he liked least, wouldn't wish to come back and felt that the locals were all tax dodgers and living like parasites of the UK. The PR must have wiped out the benefit of most of all DTL's advertising for the past year. Why the hell Martin Quayle wants to shout about it god only knows.

Why the hell Martin Quayle wants to shout about it god only knows.

It's all to pad out his retirement autobiography by a couple of chapters I reckon, he's doing well for those at the moment: Chapter 18 - How I nearly f*****d up the TT, Chapter 19 - Famous people I met as an MHK including Martin Clunes; Chapter 20 - Ooops! Apocalypse - my part in the island's downfall; Chapter 21 - the history of tourism is history on the Isle of Man.

Archived