Tyre Prices

Stu Peters

The front tyres on my red peril are getting a little 'slick' so I called my friendly neighbouring tyre dealer yesterday for a quote. Even though I need a high-speed rated tyre (guessing that anything else could invalidate my insurance) I'm not particularly picky about brand, as long as it's not a REALLY cheap and nasty Chinese lump. My bloke said he'd have to get them in (not a standard size) and they'd cost 'around £150-160 each'.

I mentioned that I'd had a look online and could buy two budget brands for that, and his response was that I'd still have to pay delivery and have them fitted - which he'd do for £20 per wheel. I guess he's got plenty of business at present as he didn't want time to check his prices...

I've just ordered two high-performance Avons (good British brand - I used to race modsports on their slicks) online HERE for the grand total of £160, including fitting at National Tyres on Derby Square on Wednesday afternoon.

I'll report back if it all goes horribly wrong (like the mandatory valve caps are £50 each) but I am optimistic and thought I'd share the good news - especially with anyone else on MF driving something that eats expensive rubber!

The front tyres on my red peril are getting a little 'slick' so I called my friendly neighbouring tyre dealer yesterday for a quote. Even though I need a high-speed rated tyre (guessing that anything else could invalidate my insurance) I'm not particularly picky about brand, as long as it's not a REALLY cheap and nasty Chinese lump. My bloke said he'd have to get them in (not a standard size) and they'd cost 'around £150-160 each'.

I mentioned that I'd had a look online and could buy two budget brands for that, and his response was that I'd still have to pay delivery and have them fitted - which he'd do for £20 per wheel. I guess he's got plenty of business at present as he didn't want time to check his prices...

I've just ordered two high-performance Avons (good British brand - I used to race modsports on their slicks) online HERE for the grand total of £160, including fitting at National Tyres on Derby Square on Wednesday afternoon.

I'll report back if it all goes horribly wrong (like the mandatory valve caps are £50 each) but I am optimistic and thought I'd share the good news - especially with anyone else on MF driving something that eats expensive rubber!

I've used this firm without a problem. If more of us on the Island were prepared to shop around for stuff the greedier dealers here would have to adjust their profits to "fair" or go under.

Car and car accessory traders can only co-exist in such large numbers, in such a small population, is because most of the general public are unquestioningly content to pay "way over the odds" for most things, including fuel.

Is it just me or does everyone have an odd car that the local suppliers don't carry parts for despite it being quite a common car ? ~ they are even more (or very) common 'across', you see them by the dozen, but there isn't even a local dealer here any more.

I used to have one which the local 'distributor' (who originally sold it) didn't even carry a can of spray paint touch-up for it !.

The current limo is not exactly a rarity like Stu's bullet, but when I was looking for brake discs a while ago nobody had the correct type so I ended up with my tame lathe-man who took a minute skim off the originals and they are perfect now.

I recently wanted some shocks, likewise 'not a type we stock, it'll be 3-5 days' - got new by post next day.

I must say that I have always got a good deal from my 'usual' tyre place, the only hiccup a while ago was a new set on a different vehicle which were almost undriveable for the first 600mile despite playing with pressures etc., it took a good fast run on motorways to 'cure' them, and even now in the cold when they have been parked overnight they have 'flats' on them for the first 1/2 mile before they soften up and I can be seen doing an impression of Damon Hill behind the safety car trying to get some heat into them :D

You do try to support local businesses but there is a limit !

Wow - instant result!

Glad to help - though I don't know whether approaching National direct here would give the same prices - they're obviously part of some UK buying group as far as the online part is concerned. Like most, I don't mind paying a little over the odds to support local businesses, but 100% isn't tenable.

As to spares, I guess it's our small population working against us - we seem short of a number of 'main agents' but the cost of premises and stock (cars and spares) for a catchment area of just 80k people must be a real killer unless the manufacturer is prepared to make concessions. I get all of my parts for Lottie online and have them fitted locally - young bloke at one local motor factors (now closed) once consulted his books and told me there was no such car as a 1990 Lotus Esprit SE...

Gave a pal across a tip to try online people like Europarts a few months ago for her Merc. Usually OE manufacturer parts but without the fancy logo and BIG savings.

Just got a call from my wife who went to XXX to get a tyre fitted to a typical family hatchback. They told her we needed 2 tyres (we don't) and tracking and it's going to cost £200. I can get the same tyre from that site for £37.

Bloody thieves, pure and simple.

I get mine from Liverpool for £50 a set.

They arrive on the boat and they are already fitted to wheels with no extra charge.

They don't seem absolutely brand new but as near as dam it.

The bloke doesn't want me to give his number out on here though

Just got a call from my wife who went to XXX to get a tyre fitted to a typical family hatchback. They told her we needed 2 tyres (we don't) and tracking and it's going to cost £200. I can get the same tyre from that site for £37.

Bloody thieves, pure and simple.

safety, you should always replace tyre's in pairs (both front or both rear), as under heavy breaking the old tyre on one side will have less grip than the new tyre on the other and so is quite likely to throw you into a spin

Archived