Adsl Upgrades?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've heard, MT are upping the frequency that ADSL is running at, which may (or may not) cause some to get more bandwidth depending on your location. MT have not officially announced upgrades, and you will get at the minimum you pay for, so don't cancel your 2mb yet. They (1mb, not sure about 2) also might experience small upgrades in speed.

Huh? :)

The communications commision released a statement to say all adsl's were being upgraded. I gather everyones circuit is going up to 2mb, but it's up to the isp's to upgrade the bandwidth (or not).

Dunno the timescale tho.

As far as I know, it's gonna be in July and the additional speed you get depends on your distance to the exchange - can anyone verify that?...

"don't go cancelling your 2mb circuit yet"

i'm sorry but, hahahahaha.... nothing personal, i wish i could afford one...

Whats been said about depending on the distance from the exchange, i have heard before, but how is that going to work in practise.

Who would want to pay montly and only get around 1/2 meg because they live in the sticks, knowing that someone in douglas for example is getting 2 meg for the same price.... I can see the witch burnings now... the peasants would be revolting.

will be coming down from the hills looking for hotspots!

Slightly of topic, but a couple of weeks ago we found over 130 open wireless networks driving down the prom from Castlemona Drive to the Sea Terminal :)

Also, does anyone have any information regarding SDSL on the island? Upload speed is something I'm desperate to increase since I started hosting.

Slightly of topic, but a couple of weeks ago we found over 130 open wireless networks driving down the prom from Castlemona Drive to the Sea Terminal :)

Was round a friends the other day, he summoned me cos he said his wireless signal was rubbish and kept dropping. He's had adsl in a few months, with a wireless router. Sadly he'd actually been connected to someone elses wireless router for the whole period, which is why his signal strength was low :)

Also, does anyone have any information regarding SDSL on the island? Upload speed is something I'm desperate to increase since I started hosting.

You can rent an eps9 circuit and have sdsl from any of the isp's. It'll cost lots tho.

I phoned MT the other day to ask exactly this question (What is happening about the upgrade), and the nice lady on the phone told me that though it is planned for 1st July, there is likely to be a slight delay. I am told this is because when the announcement was made, nobody bothered to tell MT!

Silly as this may sound, if it was up to MT to make the timetable you can guarantee it would be a MUCH longer timescale, so the announcement acted as a kick in the ass for MT to actually move at the speeds they are capable of when they really need to.

I was also informed that the speed differential will be determined purely by distance from the exchange (OK for me, I live less than 200 metres from mine).

I am also told by MT that nobody will need to make any hardware or software changes for the change to take effect, you will just switch your machine on one day and the connection speed will suddenly be a helluva lot quicker.

IMHO it is about time MT gave us bandwidth for broadly the same price as they get it on the mainland, even if just to show that they are not an overcharging, poor service providing, monopoly abusing bunch of fat-cats.

Not that anyone could ever make such an accusation, naturally.

I phoned MT the other day to ask exactly this question (What is happening about the upgrade), and the nice lady on the phone told me that though it is planned for 1st July, there is likely to be a slight delay. I am told this is because when the announcement was made, nobody bothered to tell MT!

If MT didn't know about it, how did a bunch of adsl connections magically upgrade to 2mb before the announcement?

Archived