Religion

Amadeus

There's a thingy on C4 on Monday, 8pm, called The Root of All Evil? - The God Delusion, and the description reads as follows:

Professor Richard Dawkins, Chair of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford and world-renowned evolutionary biologist, is no stranger to controversy. In this contentious two-part series, Dawkins decribes God as the most unpleasant fictional character of all and launches a wholehearted attack on religion as the cause for much of the pain and suffering in the world.

I've only seen the preview of it, and have no idea if it's actually gonna be any good, but the obvious question behind it is an interesting one:

Would the world be a better place without Religion?

I can't recall word-by-word what he said in the preview-clip, but it went something like:

Without Religion, there are good and bad people - the good doing good things, the bad doing bad things.

With Religion, there are still good and bad people, but Religion can make good people do bad things.

I assume that he was referring to events such as the Inquisition, 9/11, etc - basically any negative events in our history which were caused, carried out, or influenced by different Religions.

It still made me look up and think if he might actually has a point there....

I think that's a fascinating and pretty radical question, and I'm somehow undecided - I'm still trying to imagine a world without Religion, without believe in any kind of higher being or God - what would it be like?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is that people need something to cling to and become wandering mobs around regardless of what it is...

If Religion didn't exist something else would be there to take peoples keeness to sacrifice themselves for "something" be it Religion, a football team, a cause, a country or a man

A lot of religions include things that all people should aspire to and deliver messages that if we followed society would be a better place.

"Do unto others as you would have them do to you" is an example I think most of us would know.

However the way religion can be interpreted such as the crusades is where we get it so wrong.

Religion isn't the cause of bad things. We are.

And for the record I'm an aethiest !

A lot of religions include things that all people should aspire to and deliver messages that if we followed society would be a better place.

"Do unto others as you would have them do to you" is an example I think most of us would know.

However the way religion can be interpreted such as the crusades is where we get it so wrong.

Religion isn't the cause of bad things. We are.

And for the record I'm an aethiest !

I agree 100%, people are the problem not things.

Just a shame that these people who preach hate and want war also do it in gods name.

Religion is great, its just the people who adjust it for their own style are the problem.

All wars seem to stem from religion, look at the muslims at the moment saying they are doing gods work, when 99% of all muslims are against any violence.

I think Budism is probably the only religion that unites people in a common goal.

I do have a problem with religion and how closely it is intertwined with politics and government almost throughout the world. It has been the justification for countless acts which themselves are contrary to most religious beliefs. Religion bows to a higher authority that is incontrovertible. And that is the problem; interpretation of the will of God, Allah or whomsoever!

Religious codes only embody the codes of conduct that exist inherently. Man wrote the various scriptures based on the ethical standards of the time they were written, but ethics change and the interpretation to apply the codes to the circumstances of later day life leads to many injustices and cruelties. However, these are excused because that is what is written in the Bible, Talmuhd, Koran etc.

Having said that, religion does seem to fill a need in many societies so what you replace it with is difficult to identify.

I shall watch the programme with interest.

Sounds like a great program!

I actually have a personal working relationship with jesus and god - i see god as my father and jesus as my own brother - i asked him into my heart one day (well - ALL of them actually - jesus, god, and the holy spririt), and he/they have stuck by my side ever since.... not that i would want to ram it down anyone's throat or anything, but i suggest that you all try having a chat with god - tell him how you feel, offer yourself to him.... otherwise you will rot in h£%$Q%$ll!!!! :ph34r:

I actually have a personal working relationship with jesus and god - i see god as my father and jesus as my own brother - i asked him into my heart one day (well - ALL of them actually - jesus, god, and the holy spririt), and he/they have stuck by my side ever since.... not that i would want to ram it down anyone's throat or anything, but i suggest that you all try having a chat with god - tell him how you feel, offer yourself to him.... otherwise you will rot in h£%$Q%$ll!!!! :ph34r:

Mmm...what a loving father figure that sounds like. "Believe in me or spent all eternity in unimaginable pain".

If people hear voices they are fed medication and called "Schizophrenic". If people hear the voice of god, they're called prophets. I'm sorry to break it to you, but the standard christian "God" is no more real than the giant teacake in the sky.

Mmm...what a loving father figure that sounds like. "Believe in me or spent all eternity in unimaginable pain".

If people hear voices they are fed medication and called "Schizophrenic". If people hear the voice of god, they're called prophets. I'm sorry to break it to you, but the standard christian "God" is no more real than the giant teacake in the sky.

you mean.... h h h he doesn't exist? Please don't tell me that - no no nooooo i'm too feeble to accept responsibility for my own actions, and too crap to make my own decisions - if there is no god... then who will forgive me for all the sins i have committed (and those that are yet to come...) :huh:

Man wrote the various scriptures based on the ethical standards of the time they were written, but ethics change and the interpretation to apply the codes to the circumstances of later day life leads to many injustices and cruelties. However, these are excused because that is what is written in the Bible, Talmuhd, Koran etc.

So maybe it's time to update from Bible 1.0 to version 2.06?

Man wrote the various scriptures based on the ethical standards of the time they were written, but ethics change and the interpretation to apply the codes to the circumstances of later day life leads to many injustices and cruelties. However, these are excused because that is what is written in the Bible, Talmuhd, Koran etc.

So maybe it's time to update from Bible 1.0 to version 2.06?

As long as it is Windows compatible!

Archived