Software Firewalls Question

Background: Normally I use my laptop via a Netgear ADSL modem / router which has a built in firewall. Sometimes when I'm away I use a modem dial up connection. I've always assumed that it is best to therefore also use a software firewall. And maybe even when behind the router.

Previously I used Zone Alarm free - though it gave me problems .... regularly needing to be restarted since it seemed to lose the net connection. So I switched to Kerio free. Now I've discovered (possibly since XP Service Pack 2) that the system crashes when going into 'Standby' or 'Hibernate' - causing the machine to then reboot. Uninstalling Kerio, and re booting, fixes the problem. I identified the problem whilst trying to fix an issue on a friend's computer. Then realised that I had the same issue. After some thinking I realised that Kerio was the common factor - since a third, similarly configured, laptop was not using it and did not have the same problem.

I don't tend to use Standby - but I'd like to be able to use Hibernate when running on batteries. Though I prefer Shutdown.

So I have three questions:

1. Has anyone else noticed a problem with Kerio + SP2 - when it goes into Standby or Hibernate?

2. What is the best software firewall to use with XP (Home)? Preferably free for private use. Is there another option?

3. Is the built in Windows XP firewall adequate? I use Firefox for browsing. I only use Internet Explorer for doing Windows updates. I also regularly run Ad Aware and AVG and I seldom install new software.

I've tried Google but haven't really come to any conclusions from what I've found. I'm looking for opinions.

I tried Kerio and thought it was sh.te, nowt but bother.

Tried the usual free suspects when my Norton licence ran out (cash was tight at the time) and ended up buying McAfee Internet Security 6 on ebay for a fiver - and it works....but Norton Internet Security is miles better/easier to use and set up/stable/never let me down once.

2. What is the best software firewall to use with XP (Home)? Preferably free for private use. Is there another option?

3. Is the built in Windows XP firewall adequate? I use Firefox for browsing. I only use Internet Explorer for doing Windows updates. I also regularly run Ad Aware and AVG and I seldom install new software.

I use Sygate Personal Firewall on my home desktop running XP Pro SP2 - the only issue I have is the new Windows security centre doesn't accept it as a valid firewall when it checks for a firewall on start up.

The XP firewall, from what I can gather, is a reasonable software firewall for incoming traffic, but doesn't block outgoing traffic at all, so if your machine were infected, it could be used as a zombie to propagate the virus.

Personally, I quite like Kerio PF, though that's mainly due to historical reasons (v 2.x) and its potential to have quite fine control. I wouldn't recommend it to an average user, though: it's far too confusing if you're not sure on things and you could quite easily open up large holes ;) Anyway, the problems with SP2 should've been fixed now, see here:

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_releasehistory.html

Download the latest here:

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

As for what to choose for the average home user, that's tricky as ever. If it has to be free, then I'd go for the XP SP2 one or ZoneAlarm. As an aside, it's worth noting that XP SP2 limits the amount of half-open TCP connections thereby making the machine a less effective "zombie", so they have thought of that one. Not entirely without its consequences, but most users won't notice anything different.

Archived