Manx Mot

Larrr

I have taken 3 cars in from the UK, they all passed 1st time. (Even my Astra, where the rear-view mirror fell off on the way to the test centre)

My old GPz550 failed on headlamp alignment, the tester was very reasonable, and said he would have set it himself if he could find the adjuster. For the next test, I took the Haynes manual, and we did it together in about 2 minutes (From the 'MoT' chapter :D )

Most people have their vehicles serviced annually out of habit, and I'm sure the garage would point out anything alse that needed sorting. More to the point, any self-respecting petrolhead would make sure their car was tip-top, just as a matter of pride.

We have an old campervan. It's a rather good example of rather poor British 1973 engineering. It, not surprisingly, failed it's first test. All faults were rectified and it was re-submitted. More 'faults' found and rectified. Re submitted.... More 'faults' found and rectified..... Re submitted.... More 'faults' found and rectified..... It has finally passed. The work to get it through the test cost more than we paid for it !

I 'used' to be under the impression that as long as you rectified the (first set) of faults - it would pass. Not now.

Prior to testing I had my car serviced by the dealer who advised me to come back in six months as the discs had thousands of miles left on them but would need replacing in the year. The test centre said my brakes were dangerously low and needed replacing. I am not sure they have the tools or training to work with all cars. Nor do I think they should fail the car on routinely consumable items as he law has adequate provisions to ensure that drivers are responsibly for maintaining a roadworthy vehicle. It's a lotto, or maybe they feel they are doing their bit for the economy by drumming up trade for local garages and taking the retest fee.

Archived