Mighty Oak Ball

Hugs

Plans have been unveiled for a lavish ball to mark the end of the Mighty Oak Appeal next month.

The project to raise £2 million to build a new hospice for the island, draws to a close on February 14, exactly two years after it was launched.

The Mighty Oak Ball at the Villa Marina in Douglas, on Saturday February 12, will be the appeal's final event and will ensure it goes out on a high.

Director, Sir Miles Walker (pictured), says it will be an opportunity to thank everyone who has supported the cause, which has so far raised £1.2 million.

Tickets for the black tie event, a three course dinner with entertainment, are £30.

Does anyone fancy going?

This sort of function in my mind puts people off. The so called great and pontifical dress up and hold a self congratulatory event for the efforts they have put into raising money donated by folk who cannot afford to attend such functions. Rather than spend 30 quid for a ticket why don't they donate the ticket price into the collection box?

But oh no, they want to be seen in the Fenella social society pages to satisfy their own egos.

I daresay Richard Corkill, born again represesentative of the people, will be there too, seeking a pat on the back for his move to get Tynwald to foot a million to the cause when he could have done it when he was in power.

I am sorry but events like this one just puts ordinary folk off in my view.

If this lavish ball goes ahead I daresay the real hard workers for hospice will not be there, because in most charities the real workers shun such self patronising publicity.

Archived