Steam Packet Sailings To Heysham?

Keith

that's my own capture, there is also marinetraffic.com (which is the same source as the shipais 'pan and zoom' display)

Sub Lieutenant Philips: "left hand down a bit" :lol:

edit: just turned onto 087 degrees 10.22am

You must be high up with a decent antenna :) good capture!

I'd loved to have been on the Ben this morning, I much prefer an 'interesting' crossing than the boring flat calm ones :lol:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must've been an interesting crossing this morning - by the Racket's own admission it took 4 hours. It won't affect the punctuality statistics, though, will it, 'cos no-one wants to know whether the arrival was on time, do they? It left a few minutes early, so that's OK, isn't it?

Douglas to Heysham-Departed at:08:40

Arrival at:12:40

Perhaps the weather has been a problem for the Liverpool sailing?

I assume that Mannannan is still running on 3 engines? They might now be thinking about the cost savings as well...

I see from one of the local papers that both Tesco and Shoprite are using the new freight service from Mezeron. I watch the Ben sail these last few days, it's been quite noticeable that there's been less freight on the top deck. Also in the paper was a comment from the Racket, something a long the lines of "we are thinking about making a comment about the new service" I suspect it wont read anything like "it's hurting us big time" :lol:

What effect all this will have on prices for passengers on the Ben is yet to be seen.

Also in the paper was a comment from the Racket, something a long the lines of "we are thinking about making a comment about the new service" I suspect it wont read anything like "it's hurting us big time"

Advanced copy:

Whether we like it or not the IoM is a natural monopoly with regard to ferry services (because of its market size and the capital intensive nature of shipping) and we should stop trying to pretend otherwise. At the risk of repeating myself, the simple fact is that we need a certain minimum level of revenue to cover the cost of operating many unprofitable services that we are expected to provide. An Island population of 80,000 people can not otherwise support the level of services we enjoy.

Source: Mark Woodward on Manxforums - Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:31 AMs

Also in the paper was a comment from the Racket, something a long the lines of "we are thinking about making a comment about the new service" I suspect it wont read anything like "it's hurting us big time"

Advanced copy:

Whether we like it or not the IoM is a natural monopoly with regard to ferry services (because of its market size and the capital intensive nature of shipping) and we should stop trying to pretend otherwise. At the risk of repeating myself, the simple fact is that we need a certain minimum level of revenue to cover the cost of operating many unprofitable services that we are expected Contractually obligated to provide. An Island population of 80,000 people can not otherwise support the level of services we enjoy.

Source: Mark Woodward on Manxforums - Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:31 AMs

Fixed

Fixed

:huh: You've improved it Blade Runner.

I wonder how much the words, if they appear, will differ from his 20 month old statement?

Archived