Document Managment Systems

The DMS we currently use (Invu) are pushing us to upgrade to the most recent version ,but the new version is so different from the old vesion that it doesn't work the way we are used to using the product. A lot of the functionallity we currently use isn't possible in the new version.

I know there are a few IT bods on here, what DMS systems can you recommend?

The DMS we currently use (Invu) are pushing us to upgrade to the most recent version ,but the new version is so different from the old vesion that it doesn't work the way we are used to using the product. A lot of the functionallity we currently use isn't possible in the new version.

What version are you on?

I've two clients over here on the bigger island that are running it. Ones running series 6 and the other series 200 which is the older one and is miles faster than series 6.

We are on S200 which works fine. It is version 6 that I'm trying to avoid.

My client with S200 isnt being pushed for an upgrade to S6 and they have an ongoing maintenance contract with their invu reseller. I'm sure if it was end of life / out of support, the reseller would be all over them.

I wonder if your dealer might be trying to squeeze an upgrade out of you.

I'm more network support than end user support so I dont get to use the software very much but when I have used it I find that S6 is very slow. It actually takes 2 minutes to start and thats a long time when your sat there looking at it.

I've suggested to them today that I stay on S200, but I'm worried that at some point I might be forced to take the new version, so just seeng what alternatives are recommended. I think they are pushing the upgrade to get money out of us, as it's the only product I know that they force you to pay them to install upgrades. Most products I do my self or the vendor upgrade them as part of the support/maintenance contract. They've already charged me a fortune for a pre-migration consultancy which I suppose is a small price rather than upgrading to the new version which would cost thousands and not do what we want.

What features of INVU do you like/need... it will make easier to suggest options... there is no point jumping from INVU to another system if it does not cover your major requirements.... my understanding is that INVU is still supporting the old version, but then you have think about how long that will continue I guess.

Have you looked at Sharepoint?

Have you looked at Sharepoint and seen the ridiculous licensing that Microsoft have in place for it?

I've suggested to them today that I stay on S200, but I'm worried that at some point I might be forced to take the new version, so just seeng what alternatives are recommended. I think they are pushing the upgrade to get money out of us, as it's the only product I know that they force you to pay them to install upgrades. Most products I do my self or the vendor upgrade them as part of the support/maintenance contract. They've already charged me a fortune for a pre-migration consultancy which I suppose is a small price rather than upgrading to the new version which would cost thousands and not do what we want.

I emailed one of my sales contacts at my clients invu reseller, got this back ..

"There are no current plans to discontinue the support for S200, and a new build of V5.4 should be available soon."

Most products are designed for one company to manage the documents between themselves and their client. But being a CSP we need a product that can manage the documents for all the companies we manage. At the moment we file documents in the Companies & Trusts section under Company Name, File Section, & Document Type, plus dates, subject, correspondent, and other stuff. when we search we are displayed with a list of documents, that looks similar to an excel spreadsheet and we have it set to show the most recent documents at the top so you can easily she what have been going on with that company, the new version seems to give you a hirarchal tree type results sorted by document types which you have to sift through to find what you need.

Sharepoint seems to be more a workflow and for keeping track of working documents on your system rather than a way of storing scanned/archive documents.

Watermark sounded good on their website but looks way too basic.

Perhaps I'll either stay with the current version, or look at Viewpoint's document managment system.

"There are no current plans to discontinue the support for S200, and a new build of V5.4 should be available soon."

Might just get them to migrate it to a Windows Server 2003 box from the 2000 one its on now then and stick with version 5.4 for as long as I can. Shame as I liked the look and some of the new features in version 6.

Have you looked at Sharepoint and seen the ridiculous licensing that Microsoft have in place for it?

Depends which bits you're talking about, it can be free.

Manxman: Sharepoints more like a framework, might not look like a traditional scan/archive system but it certainly can behave like one.

Having said that, we're on Laserfiche :)

Most products are designed for one company to manage the documents between themselves and their client. But being a CSP we need a product that can manage the documents for all the companies we manage. At the moment we file documents in the Companies & Trusts section under Company Name, File Section, & Document Type, plus dates, subject, correspondent, and other stuff. when we search we are displayed with a list of documents, that looks similar to an excel spreadsheet and we have it set to show the most recent documents at the top so you can easily she what have been going on with that company, the new version seems to give you a hirarchal tree type results sorted by document types which you have to sift through to find what you need.

Sharepoint seems to be more a workflow and for keeping track of working documents on your system rather than a way of storing scanned/archive documents.

Watermark sounded good on their website but looks way too basic.

Perhaps I'll either stay with the current version, or look at Viewpoint's document managment system.

Sharepoint can be free, as I think someone else has mentioned, but you do get what you pay for and it can require a lot of customisation to get it to a stage where it will work for you. If you want to use it to allow your clients to access the documents you would probably need to get the internet connection licence which was very expensive the last time I looked.

I have been using the free version of a product called Instant Intelligence Archiving (limited on space and multi user on the free version) for my own personal filing, which is a hosted service so gives me the ability to access my documents where ever I am... it sounds like it may meet your requirements. I thought of this when you mentioned " hirarchal tree type results"...

Have you looked at Laserfiche?

Archived