Can Anyone Fix An Xbox 360 On The Island?

My nephew has an Xbox 360 and when it's turned on it is just showing a blue screen on the TV. Is there anyone on the Island that can fix it, or will it have to go back to Microsoft?

If it hasn't got the 3 red lights on the ring on the front flashing, then is the blue screen because the TV is not accepting a signal? Have they tried a different cable? Maybe try one from a friend first. Else I'd send it back to MS if it still falls under the warranty. I've heard its pretty painless. I think a few off here have done that.

My nephew has an Xbox 360 and when it's turned on it is just showing a blue screen on the TV. Is there anyone on the Island that can fix it, or will it have to go back to Microsoft?

If it's a component cable, have they checked the 'hd/sd' switch?

Yep, tried that it's not the cable. It defo hasn't got the red ring of death.

His dad is ringing Microsoft later. It's weird because there is sound just no picture.

I have heard of this, and there is a very! crud way of fixing it, with a hot air gun, Defo give microsoft a call if it is still in warranty.

It's out of warranty Dev... How do you try and fix it and what's wrong with it?

well... I have never tried it but heard of certian ways.. you could try fitting the xclamp first to see if that solves it, doubtfull but an easy enough fix to try... then if that fails :S there is a video on you tube, it shows you where you need to take the heat gun to it, and apply the heat evenly to from what I can gather is to let the solder soften and reconnect, but It sounds like a very gash way too me!

My brother in law had the same issue - blue screen with sound but no video showing. He was using the component (or composite) connection at that time. After a bit of mucking about (and some deeply disturbing thoughts directed at the machine) I noticed that his TV had a hdmi input, and a hdmi cable was supplied with the Xbox 360. So I plugged that in and bobs yer uncle, it worked. I dunno why this happened, but I can only assume that the display was set to output in hdmi. Is there a way to reset the display settings on an Xbox 360? (I don't have one so I have no idea).

Mine developed a video fault earlier this year. For about £50 you can register the repair with microsoft and they will courier it to and from Germany where they fix them. Have a look here.

Thanks Mojomonkey I'll let him know.

though early M$ hardware was of quite high quality (eg mice - I used one for well over 10 years + it still works) the Xbox seems to have been very poorly designed especially wrt heat dissipation - the processor (under the heat sink) gets very hot, the motherboard is quite thin and warps due to the heat - this puts strain on the solder ball joints to the processor and these break (I think they are also lead free and early lead free solders tended to be much more brittle than lead solders) - hence failure as one or more contacts are lost - the clamp + heat gun are attempts to 'resolder' the broken joints by brute force - the trick of switching it on well before use is a hope that the heat will 'warp' the joint back.

Archived