Monitor Problems

Bit of a strange problem I'm having with my computer at the minute. My monitor is set to goto standby to save energy if I've not used it for 15 minutes, and will turn back on if I move the mouse. Yesterday it wouldn't turn back on though, although turning the monitor off then back on fixed this.

This morning I switched the computer on and the monitor did nothing except continuously make the noise it makes when switching from stand-by to on (even when the computer was off), and vice versa. I unplugged it from the computer, and power source and then plugged it back in. This time the monitor came on, for about a second, then went off, only the power indicator was green/on the whole time, not orange like it was in standby. I turned it off and back on and each time it'd come on for about a second then go off again.

I tried my brothers monitor, which is exactly the same model and that did the same thing, so I'm guessing it might be the graphics card at fault. However...

I plugged my monitor back in and switched it on and it continued to do the same thing but, I left it for about an hour and then tried it again and it came back on and stayed on. So the graphics card is still working, and the monitor is working! :huh:

I dare not turn it off again though in case the same thing happens. The graphics card is a GeForce 8500 GT which I've only had for about 12 months, but the monitor I've had for a few years but has never had a problem until now, so any help would be appreciated.

If you've tried a different monitor and it behaves exactly the same then it does point to the graphics card.

If it's improved over time of it being on, then it points to either a poor fit of the graphics card or perhaps a dry joint. I would take the graphics card out and reseat it.

Also try taking your PC off the power at the mains for a bit if you haven't done so already.

Thanks for the advice Rich, I've found the problem now however. Seems the powerpack for the monitor is on the blink, the power led was flickering like crazy, so I tried my brothers and the monitor came straight on. Now to see if I can buy a new powerpack.

Archived