Death Of The Only True 60S Rebel.

Lonan3

Don Partridge - RIP

We did five takes of his song, 'Rosie', and every one sounded the same," Paul told me in 2001, "EMI put it out and he really didn't care if it was a hit or not. He was difficult to manage as he always did what he wanted. I put him on tour with Gene Pitney and when someone shouted for 'Rosie', he replied, 'Piss off!'

I saw him take a handful of fivers and throw them in the fire because money wasn't going to get to him. He got sacked from a season on Blackpool pier for constantly swearing on stage. He was soon back on the streets but that was where he wanted to be.

Partridge was never homeless but sometimes lived in a horse-drawn caravan, and sometimes on a longboat. In the 1970s he moved into a fisherman's cottage in Brixham, Devon and later had various addresses in East Sussex.

"I could never refuse a pretty face", he once confessed, "I'd be busking and a girl would come up and invite me to her place. I could always tell the difference between true love and sex, but unfortunately my wives couldn't."

ROSIE

Archived