Ps3 Wont Boot Up

Jools

Just looking for some advice from you ps3 owners out there. My brother went to switch his 60Gb PS3 on this afternoon and after a couple of seconds shut itself down. He fires it up, I can hear the fan kick in, then there's a distinctive click, and then it shuts off, all within a couple of seconds. When it shuts off the power led briefly flashes yellow then just flashes red on and off continuously. Supposedly this is the YLoD (Yellow Light of Death)?

I went on YouTube to see if there was any help but I quickly got swamped with numerous problems and numerous fixes, with no definitive answers, plus it mostly involved opening up the case. Its not under warranty anymore so Sony want £150 to repair it which is a bit steep. We've spent most of the night trying various things (changing the power supply, cleaning the vents, doing the fan test) but nothing seems to work. Is there anyone local you can recommend who does repair jobs or will at least have a look at it?

Ideally my brother just needs to get it working long enough to backup his game saves, trophies and whatnot - oh and get his black ops disc out of the drive, it wont even stay on long enough to eject the disc.

Any help much appreciated!

Archived