Yoshinari Matsushita

Silentbob

I started this purely to get in before Pierrot and his usual anti TT drivel, I only reported one post as it was obvious trolling, the mods have done what they have done.

Regardless of this, my sentiments are the same as many TT/MGP riders who I have known and have since departed, RIP.

Now is not the time to discuss the TT

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed on the news coverage of this tragic accident that the BBC website listed all the riders killed since the year 2000. What stood out in that list was that 3 of the last 4 riders killed in TT accidents were at Ballacrye.

I dont know the circumstances of all 3 of these crashes but is this just a tragic coincidence or is there something that could be done to the road there, to make it safer?

Driving over the crest at Ballacrye tonight I thought to myself that if I was travelling at racing speeds it would be like a ski jump, well maybe not that severe but still quite a ramp.

Would it be worth the authorities that deal with things like this getting the road re-profiled so that it was not making bikes "go light" or airborne there?

Same thing with that jump outside Kirk Michael, Rhencullen?

What does the forum think?

Yes, there were two incidents with different causes. Ballacrye does nothing for spectator value anymore as it is now a restricted area. (In fact it is just as well looking at the aftermath of Monday's incident).

Maybe it is time to address some of these potential hazards as was done at the bottom of Bray Hill in the '80's?

Yes, there were two incidents with different causes. Ballacrye does nothing for spectator value anymore as it is now a restricted area. (In fact it is just as well looking at the aftermath of Monday's incident).

Maybe it is time to address some of these potential hazards as was done at the bottom of Bray Hill in the '80's?

Agreed, you cant make the TT safe but I think they should at least remove some of the more dangerous parts that make bikes airborne.

Doing so can only help the safety of the riders.

Agreed, you cant make the TT safe but I think they should at least remove some of the more dangerous parts that make bikes airborne.

But then where would the excitement be? Where would the fans get there "cheated death" performances?

Alternatively - it could just encourage them to go even faster - and for a few numpty fans to try to do the same.

I remember work being carried out at the top of Bray Hill. What was done at the bottom, was it reducing the kerbs ?

I remember work being carried out at the top of Bray Hill. What was done at the bottom, was it reducing the kerbs ?

Yes, they removed a hump at Ago's Leap which was a huge jump, it's nothing like it once was, quite tame in fact.

The work at the top of the hill was to correct a man made hump which happened during work on the drains during the previous winter. It caused the death of Mac Hobson and Kenny Birch on the first lap of the 1978 sidecar race

Archived