17 year old girl arrested over 'offensive' Facebook comment

Vulgarian

@ Vulgarian: I've been trying to understand where your coming from, but I simply am unable to!

When a person incites hate towards others, in which then becomes acceptable (either through religion, peer pressure or simply that they are the lunatics of this world) and the norm to carry out physical harm on someone - that's ok? Cos it's free speech!

No sorry! Free speech is available in many formats world wide. But hateful, destructive or even religious preaching can be fatal to the people who believe in the spoken word!

Should free speech be criminalized for any rational human being - NO! Unfortunately there are those who take advantage of 'free speech', therefore legally a threshold has to be implemented.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Vulgarian doesn't mind me helping to explain his position briefly and also sum up yours then...you do not believe in free speech. You believe that certains forms of speech are acceptable but some are not - so free speech is something you consider to be a bad idea.

What Vulgarian is arguing is that the freedom to say whatever you want without interference is a freedom that has a great deal of value to us as a society and it would unjust to deny people that freedom.

He recognises that there are costs to having this free speech but that has be accepted, as the alternative is the loss of something of greater value.

He is also saying that to apply any legal threshold would be to decide on a something arbitrarily, as who decides what is acceptable and what is not and who is to make that decision.

I think the difficulty you are having, firstly, is that you aren't making a distinction between free speech and controlled speech. Free speech is an all or nothing thing. If you can't say certain things then there isn't free speech.

Ok, I understand what your saying - free means free!

What I was trying to say is, just because my children go to a religious 'sermon' each day because of my faith, it should not be 'said' that killing others who do not believe in my faith is acceptable, and part of their belief system!

Archived