Optorite Dvd Burner

I'm having a bit of trouble with my Optorite DVD burner. It'll read disks with data already on them, but it fails to notice that there's a blank DVD in the drive when I insert one.. I've got a spindle of 50 here which all read in my other DVD-Rom drive, and 10 DVD+RW that also read in the DVD Rom drive, but my burner wont even acknowledge them.

I thought it was probably just the laser, but it'll read any of my PC games without a problem. Is it time to buy a new DVD burner, or is there a solution?

I've got quite an old Sony DVD writer, and with this I have to run the DVD writing software before I can insert a blank DVD.

My PC will sometimes crash if I insert a blank disc without any "writing" software running.

I don't use the "packet writing" type software (makes your DVD/CD writer appear as another hard drive) - maybe you have something like this with your other machines, but not the one you're having trouble with??

Can you run some "burning" software then insert your disc??

I get the same result whether I have Nero open before I insert a blank disk, or whether I insert the disk then boot up Nero.. the end result is the same, Nero just tells me its waiting for the drive to become ready.

Nero is the only burning software I've used on any of my machines, and I've used it successfully on this drive before it decided to go all funny on me. Tried a dvd cleaner on it, thought it might be a dirty lense but that didnt help any.

I think I might just buy a new one, Microdirect do a nice LG for £30

Archived