Breaking Doctor-Patient Confidentiality on the Sly

GD4XXX

A routine visit to the pharmacy (which shall remain nameless) this morning to pick up a prescription resulted in me almost signing away my medical confidentiality on a false pretext. The pharmacist asked me if I had 5 minutes to do a "medication review" and since I wasn't in a hurry for once, I agreed. Once ushered into a side room, this chap ran through my repeat list asking if I had any issues with each medication, what I was taking it for, and suggesting the odd alternative. At the end, a piece of paper and pen was nudged across the table and my signature requested. I did actually sign and date the thing before reading it properly. Initially I only noticed the heading "Consent for Medicines Review" or such like. However, once I'd gathered my wits a bit better I noticed some alarming small print declaring:

"I agree that the information discussed in this interview can be shared with:

My doctor, to help them provide care for me. [fair enough, but he already knows what meds I'm on anyway and what the alternatives are - so no point]

NHS England, the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) and the Secretary of State for Health" [Now we get to it!]

What's it got to do with any of them??

I don't trust the UK NHS to safeguard my medical data and it's none of their business anyway. Unlike our NHS, the UK's is a prime target for hackers and it's not hard to see how in the near future, everyone in the UK's medical records will end up circulating on the dark web for all sorts of unscrupulous characters to exploit for their personal enrichment.

So beware! Your consent is being obtained by devious and disingenuous means. Only agree if you're happy for your records to be exported off-island to be viewed by heaven only knows who.

Disclaimer: the pharmacy chain involved here is not connected with a UK bank of the same name.

• Like 1

Did you give them the boot :rolleyes:

I doubt if it is intentional..Most UK chains use the same forms/ audio recordings etc in the IOM.

Like whenever you go to Tk Maxx the store tannoy asks you to wear a face covering. :D

Edited by mad_manx

13 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Did you give them the boot :rolleyes:

I doubt if it is intentional..Most UK chains use the same forms/ audio recordings etc in the IOM.

Like whenever you go to Tk Maxx the store tannoy asks you to wear a face covering. :D

Well, regardless of intent, people need to know it is not just some form acknowledging they've had a medication review as appears at first sight from the layout of the form. I'll have to pay attention better in future and READ the things I'm expected to sign FIRST! 😄

It probably won't matter if it is or not signed by patients here.

I reckon the plan is that all pharmacies will be engaged by or with GP practices to go through all their prescriptions to 'review'  and 'amend' the prescriptions to ensure they are the cheapest  most effective for the patient and their condition. I'll be their is even a local formulary that GPs must use for prescribing to ensure only the 'right' types are used by their computer systems.

It will probably become  the 'default' position of GP practices to do this and technically patients only need to be told this is happening, not asked for their permission for someone else to know the clinical confidential details outside of the GP / Patient relationship.

They are all health care professional and I am sure they will all keep meticulous records of what they are up to doing so patients can ask to see the them if they wish. 

Duty of Candour etc.....

7 hours ago, Apple said:

It probably won't matter if it is or not signed by patients here.

I reckon the plan is that all pharmacies will be engaged by or with GP practices to go through all their prescriptions to 'review'  and 'amend' the prescriptions to ensure they are the cheapest  most effective for the patient and their condition. I'll be their is even a local formulary that GPs must use for prescribing to ensure only the 'right' types are used by their computer systems.

It will probably become  the 'default' position of GP practices to do this and technically patients only need to be told this is happening, not asked for their permission for someone else to know the clinical confidential details outside of the GP / Patient relationship.

They are all health care professional and I am sure they will all keep meticulous records of what they are up to doing so patients can ask to see the them if they wish. 

Duty of Candour etc.....

It’s part of their professional duty and their dispensing contract with DHSC/Manx Care already. It’s nothing new.

Happened to me twice in last 5 years.

Its not cost cutting. It’s a realisation that they are better trained than Doctors in the pharmacology and interplay of prescription medicines and a reaction to the use of repeats. Most of us don’t see the Dr for repeat prescriptions. I’ve used the app for 5 years to order my meds.

If they make suggestions, and that’s all they are, it’s still up to your GP to review, and, if appropriate, change your prescription.

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s part of their professional duty and their dispensing contract with DHSC/Manx Care already. It’s nothing new

Yes,  I was, on the periphery of course, party to some of the thinking behind its more formal application at the time. That included making sure the local formulary was being complied with. (iirc IoM was based on the same one as in Wales, not England but can't remember now). 

Edited by Apple