Manx Driving Licence

GD4XXX

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Manx driving licence is recognised outside of the UK? I'm off to Germany next month and will want to hire a car to get around and had assumed the Manx licence would be accepted, since it's got a lot of European languages text on its background. However, I was queuing in the Post Office today and noticed among the forms on the counter an "Application for International Driving Permit" which caused me to wonder that if our licences are recognised in the EU, why might anyone need an IDP to go with it?

Hopefully some kind soul can clarify the position....

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Manx driving licence is recognised outside of the UK? I'm off to Germany next month and will want to hire a car to get around and had assumed the Manx licence would be accepted, since it's got a lot of European languages text on its background. However, I was queuing in the Post Office today and noticed among the forms on the counter an "Application for International Driving Permit" which caused me to wonder that if our licences are recognised in the EU, why might anyone need an IDP to go with it?

Hopefully some kind soul can clarify the position....

Thanks!

They’re in standard EU format, which helps. But recognition abroad, since Brexit depends on a couple of UN Treaties, the 1949 Geneva and the 1967 Vienna Conventions on Circulation Abroad. So the answer is that yes, it’s safer to have an IDP. Ours only last a year, because we are only signed up to the 1949 convention.

I have so much to do between now and when I leave that I don't believe I can get this permit in time, so I'll just have to take my chances with the Manx one alone. If they won't accept it, fortunately the train network is pretty good in that area so not the end of the world I guess.

11 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

I have so much to do between now and when I leave that I don't believe I can get this permit in time, so I'll just have to take my chances with the Manx one alone. If they won't accept it, fortunately the train network is pretty good in that area so not the end of the world I guess.

When do you go? Last one I got took 3 days by post. You download the form, print and fill in. You imply July? You could have 4 by then. There’s a licensing counter available opposite Ocean Ford. Pay extra and it takes 10 minutes.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

3rd July. But I have a lot to do between then and now. Thanks for the detailed info. I'll see what can be done about expediting it.

Print and fill the form tomorrow. 5 minutes. Post it. You’ll have it back within a week. It’s processed manually by IoM Post. Not complicated. Not time consuming. You’ve got 3 weeks fgs.

It looks like I may have been worrying over nothing. I came across this on the German portal of the Sixt website (sorry for the huge gap, some excess linefeed characters from Google translate I'd imagine)....

Important Documents

Driving licences from non-EU/EEA countries are accepted if a) there is no visa entered in the passport of the renter / driver or b) the renter / driver has a visa in his passport and has not been staying in an EU/EEA country for more than 6 months at the time of rental. If he has been in an EU/EEA country for more than 6 months, a driving licence from an EU/EEA country must be presented. Age determinations Certain regulations apply to the minimum age and the possession of a driver's license, which depend on the respective vehicle and can be found in the booking process. In principle, the minimum age for each driver is 18 years (driving licence possession at least 1 day). A deviation of the minimum age is possible depending on the vehicle.