Who Said This?

Topaz

I have this written in my own handwriting on the flyleaf of a book. I don't know where I got it from or who wrote it/ said it originaly.

"I have always believed, and continue to believe, that nothing empowers people like consciously knowing their rights and believing that they have a fair chance to defend and save such rights. People go down when they are ignorant or unaware of their rights or choose not to defend them. Each time an individual abandons or abdicates his or her human and civil rights, it is like committing suicide. Such abandonment or abdication of rights should never be permitted to happen.

For I believe in the might of right, not in the right of might. I faithfully intend to stay the course of defending civil and human rights, and to continue working to achieve the fullest recognition of, and respect for, the rule of law such as restoring the integrity of the judicial branch of government. Only when human beings are assured, without fear or repression, the equal opportunity to defend and secure their rights, through the ability to duly invoke the legal process, as well as to receive a fair hearing on the merits of their respective case before a sage and impartial judge without outside interference, are they able to pull together their society and bind it into a sovereign democracy wherein they can play the role of free and responsible citizens."

I would like to use it. So any ideas ?

I have this written in my own handwriting on the flyleaf of a book. I don't know where I got it from or who wrote it/ said it originaly.

"I have always believed, and continue to believe, that nothing empowers people like consciously knowing their rights and believing that they have a fair chance to defend and save such rights. People go down when they are ignorant or unaware of their rights or choose not to defend them. Each time an individual abandons or abdicates his or her human and civil rights, it is like committing suicide. Such abandonment or abdication of rights should never be permitted to happen.

For I believe in the might of right, not in the right of might. I faithfully intend to stay the course of defending civil and human rights, and to continue working to achieve the fullest recognition of, and respect for, the rule of law such as restoring the integrity of the judicial branch of government. Only when human beings are assured, without fear or repression, the equal opportunity to defend and secure their rights, through the ability to duly invoke the legal process, as well as to receive a fair hearing on the merits of their respective case before a sage and impartial judge without outside interference, are they able to pull together their society and bind it into a sovereign democracy wherein they can play the role of free and responsible citizens."

I would like to use it. So any ideas ?

You must have some pretty deep conversations!

Thanks for that. I did ask a young member of the family to Google it earlier this morning as I didn't have time. She said she couldn't find anything so I thought I must have read it in a book rather than on the net. She probably just didn't bother.

Archived