Give up dairy to beat cancer

Professor Jane Plant a professor of geochemistry at Imperial College London.

• Professor Jane Plant was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1987
  • She believes the disease is inextricably linked to animal products
  • In 1993, after discovering her cancer had returned, she was warned by doctors she had just months to live
  • She and her husband Peter, also a scientist, drew on their experiences of working in China, noting the low rate of breast cancer in Chinese women
  • They researched studies showing Chinese women who move to Western countries increase their risk of breast cancer
  • The now 69-year-old decided to follow a strict non-dairy diet
  • In six weeks her tumour had gone and within one year she was in remission
  • She has documented her experience and research in a new book Beat Cancer: The 10-step plan to help you overcome and prevent cancer

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2646043/Give-dairy-beat-cancer-Leading-scientist-given-just-months-live-changes-diet-alive-nearly-20-years-later.html#ixzz33WCdXPNk
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical Daily Mail rubbish as part of their programme to categorise every known substance as either being a cause for cancer or a cure for cancer.

Of course there are dietary factors in many cancers, but the problem with the Mail is that it over-sensationalises often low valued scientific articles (and in this case a blatant book plug). If this causes one poor woman with breast cancer to think she can be cured by giving up cheese to eschew conventional (and proven) treatments then it will have done a great disservice. My advice would be to give up reading the Mail rather than give up dairy.

Typical Daily Mail rubbish as part of their programme to categorise every known substance as either being a cause for cancer or a cure for cancer.

Of course there are dietary factors in many cancers, but the problem with the Mail is that it over-sensationalises often low valued scientific articles (and in this case a blatant book plug). If this causes one poor woman with breast cancer to think she can be cured by giving up cheese to eschew conventional (and proven) treatments then it will have done a great disservice. My advice would be to give up reading the Mail rather than give up dairy.

Perspective....

I don't know about curing cancer but since I gave up dairy my sinus issues have all but disappeared. Of course doctors would say that I cannot attribute it to that as we haven't done a double blind study and measured the possible placebo effect...blah blah blah but that simple change worked for me.

Better qualified than you, Wrighty.

I'm afraid she isn't. She has a degree in geology, and a PhD in geochemistry. I've got more degrees than that, including one in immunology and oncology (that's cancer) and one in medicine and surgery (obviously). Having the title 'professor', particularly when the subject is geochemistry, does not make her more qualified than me.

I'm afraid she isn't. She has a degree in geology, and a PhD in geochemistry. I've got more degrees than that, including one in immunology and oncology (that's cancer) and one in medicine and surgery (obviously). Having the title 'professor', particularly when the subject is geochemistry, does not make her more qualified than me.

Would you say her claims do have a degree of merit or not?

True, but she's a woman which means anything she says trumps what you say.

Would you say her claims do have a degree of merit or not?

Clearly, I've not read her books, nor am I planning to. As I put in my first post, there are well documented links between some cancers and dietary intake. There may well be an increased rate of breast cancer in populations with high dairy intake compared with those with low intake. I don't see how once you've got cancer it can be made to go away by cutting out dairy though.

My main problem is not with her books, articles etc, it's with the Daily Mail and the way it presents something as medical fact after cursorily reviewing one published article/book. I did a talk last year entitled 'Back pain and the Daily Mail' or something like that. I took about 6 articles from the Mail, summarised their conclusions, and then looked at the real evidence they'd based the article on. In each case they sensationalised, cherry-picked, and ignored evidence contrary to their sensational position. The point is that a headline such as "CHEESE CAUSES BREAST CANCER" is more likely to sell papers than putting somewhere in the middle a piece entitled "Breast cancer rates 20% lower in Asian populations - possible factors include lower dairy consumption, lower rate of BRCA1 gene prevalence, drinking green tea and no routine mammography, thereby avoiding discovery of incidental, non-progressive carcinoma in-situ which in the US leads to over-diagnosis". It's more complex than just avoiding butter, but the Mail doesn't appreciate that. Perhaps professors of geochemistry don't either.

Citation needed.

Citation needed.

He met a woman once. (she wasn't impressed)

If the Daily Mail doesn't accuse something of being a miracle cure for cancer or a disasterous cause of it, it's usually a busy news day. They use it to fill their pages. The Daily Mail is basically cancer and the alleged immigration threat along with benefits scroungers. Next week's headline "Benefit scrounging paedophile immigrants proven to increase incidents of cancer!"

I don't know about curing cancer but since I gave up dairy my sinus issues have all but disappeared. Of course doctors would say that I cannot attribute it to that as we haven't done a double blind study and measured the possible placebo effect...blah blah blah but that simple change worked for me.

I may have to try this, having been lacking most of my sense of smell since I was 13, it'd be nice to be able to smell a lot more than just petrol and wild garlic.

Archived