Joey Dunlop Movie

partypolitics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I went 168 mph there

WTF!

I just cannot comprehend such speed on an open public road, especially the Manx roads! Fair enough, on an empty motorway in the early hours of the morning but over here, that's just scary!

I'd be bricking it if I were doing that sort of speed in a car, with all the protection it offers but on a bike, on open roads - this guy's a loon!

Blimey, if this dude makes his film, it'll make Torque look like a bunch of toddlers riding around on scooters!

He sounds a bit of an arsehole if you ask me. He should not be allowed back on the Island - full stop. Are we suposed to hero worship him or what?

If he comes over here ever again the bastard should be arrested for dangerous driving. The irresponsible little shit. And I don't care if he does bring a load of luvvies and film crews with him.

From the above article

A project about Joey Dunlop, the late Irish road racer and hero of the Isle of Man, is on Younger's back burner. "I did go to the Isle of Man last June. I feel that is a venue that at least I could sell to a studio...it's unique; there's a much greater element of danger. Three people died when I was there last June. I rode the course maybe 15-20 times when I was there...I went as fast as I've ever gone on a bike, on a public road. I went 168 mph there. And I just thought, 'There's a movie here.'

Arrogant?

Anyone who brags about doing 168 mph on public roads is an arrogant arsehole.

Couple that with the previous sentence about 3 people dying when he was here.

Dying.

And he then goes on to say:

. . . . . And I just thought, 'There's a movie here'.

Hhhhmm, as you do.

Arrogant? That word ain't strong enough.

Yes, Joey Dunlop was my hero, but this guy would like to make a film for all the wrong reasons. Please think about it before giving him any hospitality whatsoever on our Island.

He's probably one of those arseholes (sorry, I've got to use that word again for emphasis) that adds 10mph onto his loud-mouthed bragging story every time he has a pint. He probably had had 5 pints when he told the above version of his Isle of Man visit.

and from Article

. . . and is now writing a new script -- the story of an American racer who participates in the notoriously dangerous Isle of Man TT Races.

"If you fall there," he says, "you have a good chance of dying."

For this guy the Isle of Man TT = Death and Destruction.

There is some publicity we just don't need.

Although if I think about it, it could be a real good laugh. Like when "The Comic Book Presents" (Channel 4 1980s) did a skit on an American Hollywood version of the Miners Strike and casting Al Pacino as Arthur Scargill :D and Meryl Streep as Arthur's wife - completely changing reality out of all recognition. Great fun though.The Strike - about 3/4 down the page

Perhaps he should name the film "The Craic was 168 in the Isle of Man"

(I have started writing script ideas for this very film, down in The Writers section. Please feel free to add suggestions)

:)

• 8 years later...

Archived