Cd And Dvd Drives Won't Work.

Fitted the new IDE cables (thanks mission) and nothing works, it recongnises the drive and it came up with new hardware but it still has the yellow triangle with the ! in it, Anyone got any ideas whats wrong with it?

It's very important that the drives are correctly set as master or slave, - although this can depend on the type cables you're using - some have a crossover in them to set master / slave configs.

I would try setting up one drive as master and plug it into the end of the cable (you have got the longest part of the cable end plugged into your motherboard?)

- Boot up your PC, check that the drive has been picked up as a "master" in the BIOS, make sure no slave drive is present, save settings and reboot PC.

If this doesn't work, set the jumper to slave, - try again.

If no joy, set the other drive up as a "master" and reset the BIOS, plug into the end of your IDE cable & try again.

Hopefully you'll be able to get one drive working without too much trouble, then can try different settings on the other drive to get them both up & running.

It's very important that the drives are correctly set as master or slave, - although this can depend on the type cables you're using - some have a crossover in them to set master / slave configs.

I would try setting up one drive as master and plug it into the end of the cable (you have got the longest part of the cable end plugged into your motherboard?)

- Boot up your PC, check that the drive has been picked up as a "master" in the BIOS, make sure no slave drive is present, save settings and reboot PC.

If this doesn't work, set the jumper to slave, - try again.

If no joy, set the other drive up as a "master" and reset the BIOS, plug into the end of your IDE cable & try again.

Hopefully you'll be able to get one drive working without too much trouble, then can try different settings on the other drive to get them both up & running.

Thanks and yes i have got the longest part of the cable plugged into the motherboard! :lol:

After much swapping and changing cables and swapping the drives round (Master and slave. tried both ways) It still won't work, While trying to find a solution i came across a website which said its a problem with the Registry, so i've go the Registry Editor and i've just deleted the reg-keys "upperfilters" and "lowerfilters", I've jsut done this and i'am hoping this is problem solved, Now i've got to restart my computer and hope!

Deleting the upperfilters and lowerfilters made no difference, the Device manager says the drive is installed but i still get the error code so can't use the drive!

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

So I'm taking a guess here but both drives are on the same IDE, with your HD being on the other.

Have you tried putting one of the drives on the same IDE as the HD?

You could try going into device manager and tell it to update the driver and poke it at the internet?

Failing that have you run a SFC /scannow

SFC command

Nicked from another site - no guarentees. Might be the same as you already tried.

<<Start Registry Editor (Start, Run and type in regedit then click)

Find "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" (and "UpperFilters.bak" "LowerFilters.bak", if they exist) value under the following key in the registry, and delete it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Quit Registry Editor.

Reboot.

NOTE: You might need to reinstall any CD recording apps you have, if they start to not work completely, after doing this.>>

try this

Method 2: Replace the existing driver

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.

3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

4. Click the drive with the question mark next to it.

5. On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.

6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.

7. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

Nitro exactly the same thing happened to me on Tuesday night after I reinstalled windows xp pro.

I tried everything you've tried and nothing worked.

It's all sorted now though.

You have a pm.

Thanks for Pm although its really a last resort for me to do a fresh install of windows Xp as nothing is backed up, Just a thought but could i buy a second hard drive, plug it in and copy the data then do i fresh copy of windows and put the data from second hard drive back onto the first, I think i have now learn't that i should really back up my system more!, Oh and if the second hard drive would work then i could always keep files backed up on that as its unlikely for both to fail.

Hard drives aren't as cheap as i thought, Just checked ebay and most drives are £30+, I was looking for a second hand hard drive but they all seem to be around 8gb which is a bit pants really, my harddrive at the moment is only 40Gb and i thought a second hand 20Gb would only be around £5-£10, I thought i could get a new 30Gb or 40Gb Hd for around £30ish.

Archived